Overheating...why?

Yesterday, I used my MJ to haul two ATVs one in the bed, one on a trailer.

I got on the Interstate and the light came on. I pulled over expecting the Overflow tank to be boiling...no and the E fan wasn't on (came on earlier that morning)

All the Radiator hoses had pressure except the one coming off of the heater core.

Added maybe 1/4 gallon to the radiator.

Started off and it came on maybe 2 minutes before I got to my destination.

Left my dest. and what was supposed to be a 15 minute drive turned into an hours worth (stopping and cooling)

Let the truck cool down and took trailer (w/o my atv) and took it 5 minutes to my cousins house.

On the way back The light came on.

But the light was weird, it was kind of glowing on and off (everytime it came on)

Had heat the entire time

91 4.0 HO 2wd. open cooling system.

THANKS!

-Cody

I honestly don't know if it was overheating,

hence the need to replace that temp switch. and if you're going to do that, you might as well put that money towards gauges and the 2 sending units (oil and temp). :cheers: plus you can get a tach too! jamminz.gif

Remember, just cause its new, doesn't remove it from suspicion......

I agree with others, "burp" your system. Not usually as big an issue on an HO like yours, but it sure sounds like it could be the problem. Besides its free and easy!!!

Also whats your ''mix" in the rad? You mentioned adding water, was it from the tap, or distilled as it should be? How old is the anti-freeze? Might be time for a flush and fill. (An easier job, if done back in October as part of a reg maintaince interval)

Good luck,

CW

Remember, just cause its new, doesn't remove it from suspicion......

I agree with others, "burp" your system. Not usually as big an issue on an HO like yours, but it sure sounds like it could be the problem. Besides its free and easy!!!

Also whats your ''mix" in the rad? You mentioned adding water, was it from the tap, or distilled as it should be? How old is the anti-freeze? Might be time for a flush and fill. (An easier job, if done back in October as part of a reg maintaince interval)

Good luck,

CW

I'm going to try that later today.

The mix is probably 70a30w. And idk what kind of water it was.

And I am probably going to take the heater core and radiator out and have them boiled and pressure tested.

Gotta buddy gonna bring an infrared thermometer from work and we are going to see if it is actually overheating.

ding-ding-ding! I went and bought one of the things myself cause they've proven to be so darn useful. :D You might learn a lot.

Gotta buddy gonna bring an infrared thermometer from work and we are going to see if it is actually overheating.

ding-ding-ding! I went and bought one of the things myself cause they've proven to be so darn useful. :D You might learn a lot.

lol, hopefully ill be able to look at it either later or tomorrow.

See if my radiator is doin its thing or not.