Transfer Case compatibility

I just destroyed my rear bearing, axle shaft came right out the side of the truck.

The part that really has me concerned is the T-case, I think it was damaged as well.

When it's up on stands and in gear I can spin the rear wheels freely,....not good.

I have another T-case but am not sure if it will work.

The busted T-case:

87 4.0 with a 5 speed BA10/5 tranny

The one that works:

87 2.5 with a 4 speed Aisin tranny

Can I swap this T-case in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorry to hear about your luck :(

Not sure if that would work with 4cyl? You would have to find one with a 21 spline input shaft to match the Ba-10/5 output. Pretty much any 231 or 242 (if you want full-time 4x4 option) from '90 and below automatic or manual (so long as its from a Ba10/5 of course) 4.0L.

Sounds like a good time to get rid of the pukegoat tranny and find an AX-15.

FWIW a 1998 XJ NP242 bolted right up to my 1990 AX-15 5speed.

should work. the peugeot has a 21 spline output and the aw4 should have it as well. Pay attention to the input spline length, as some had short and some had long (and for the life of me I can't remember what had what).

What gears are in the axle of that 87? :brows:

I believe that unless you have a locker, if you have BOTH wheels off the ground you can turn them while in gear. They will be turning in opposite directions.

Your right on that :thumbsup: I thought it was odd they were spinning in opposite directions. Glad to hear thats supposed to happen as I don't have a locker. The drive shaft wasn't moving though,... is that normal to?

should work. the peugeot has a 21 spline output and the aw4 should have it as well. Pay attention to the input spline length, as some had short and some had long (and for the life of me I can't remember what had what).

What gears are in the axle of that 87? :brows:

Thanks Pete, thats a bit more reassuring. Your right about the spline, I counted both of them a few months ago and they were both 21. I'll have to check that spline length though, I have a feeling they're different. I'll know more tomorrow, should have time to compare them.

Gears ratios in the truck I'm trying to repair is 3.55; gears from the other rig (shot frame) is 3.07

The drive shaft wasn't moving though,... is that normal to?

the power you apply to one tire will seek out the path of least resistance. in your case, the other tire. sometimes it's the driveshaft (like if a brake pad is catching or something).