VIN plate and ownership ,

just started a build on a 91 comanche that came in to a local wrecker here with nothing,no VIN or ownership,nothing but a shell and rear end . i have a dash and interior for it but its from a cherokee, there is a dealership here that will install the new VIN plate (56$ PER VIN plate RIVET,unreal) and certify the registration or whatever it is they do. :cheers:

Roset rivets show up on Ebay,

but a guy I know saw it on TV once that MJ/XJ VIN tags are just riveted into the plastic dash. :D

If you do it just right, they can pop out, and back in again without destroying the rivets, or the plastic dash.

(atleast that's what another guy I know told me he read on a bathroom wall once ;) )

Honestly tho, be careful messing with this stuff,

and even more careful discussing it on the interwebz. :yes:

Best bet would be to find the VIN 'somewhere' on the MJ, and run it/try to get a title with the right number.

If the firewall tag is also gone, there are hidden VIN's in other locations on the Jeep

(tho I honestly don't know where they are :dunno: ).

Old AMC's used to have a partial VIN stamped under the steering box.

i hear yah with the "becarefull talking about it" but i have disused this with my local MTO and what i am doing is by there direction and perfectly legal . as long as i have build pictures and proof of purchase for the parts vehicles and VIN plate and ownership , it will cost me $20 to have everything transferred to the new vehicle

:cheers:

i hear yah with the "becarefull talking about it" but i have disused this with my local MTO and what i am doing is by there direction and perfectly legal . as long as i have build pictures and proof of purchase for the parts vehicles and VIN plate and ownership , it will cost me $20 to have everything transferred to the new vehicle

:cheers:

:thumbsup:

So will it get a 'Jeep' type VIN then, or a state issued one?

I had a Motorcycle with a state (of Mass) issued VIN,

I got the bike dirt cheap ($900 for an 88 CBR600 in 1992), but always wondered WTF was the history on the thing. (I guessed totaled/recovered stolen/rebuilt, or something else big enough for the state to void the original VIN :dunno: ).

Shouldn't matter much either way, especially if it's a trail Jeep you don't plan on selling later,

just wondering what the process is (I never really researched anything after buying that bike).

I can't speak about where you live, but I can speak about where I live. It is illegal to sell a vehicle with out a title IN VA. By that I mean the title in your name. Also it is illegal to tamper with vin Plates. Not sure what the penalties are.. sure it isnt good. I would definately contact state police to find out what you have to do to get a legit title.

just a thought but don't you think the Ministry of Transportation would know more that the Police, i understand your concern and appreciate it but trust me when i say this , i would not do anything illegal and if i did i wouldn't announce it over the internet. LOL :cheers:

The parts truck is a 93 Cherokee so they are taking that V.I.N from the Cherokee and transfer it to a Comanche V.I.N/Ownership, they take the old Cherokee ownership and they destroy it . I was given specific instructions from the MTO on how to go about this legally and this is the only way to do it , i need a picture of the donor vehicles and receipt of purchase for the donor vehicles, that gives me right to transfer the V.I.N and ownership to another vehicle. Confusing i know but it works.

Ah,

it sounds like you are in Canada, or BC (Ministry of Transportation).

They seem to be a little more lenient when it comes to the transfer of VIN's.

If/when they do certify the XJ VIN for an MJ, I'd be sure to make lots of copies of the certification paper, and keep one with the truck. :yes:

Good luck :cheers:

I know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew this other guy.........who had to change his dash.

To get his VIN off his old dash, he popped a hole through the plastic at each end of the VIN tag with a screwdriver so that the rivets came out intact with the VIN tag, then on the new dash he drilled out the old VIN, put the new tag into old holes, held the tag in place with a few spots of clear RTV.

For the Data tag under the hood, he just drilled out the old rivets reinstalled the new tag with regular steel rivets and called it good.

Only time I had any LAW look at my VIN was when they were comparing my proof of insurance against the VIN all they looked at was on the dash, they had no need to look at body tags.

I know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew this other guy.........who had to change his dash.

To get his VIN off his old dash, he popped a hole through the plastic at each end of the VIN tag with a screwdriver so that the rivets came out intact with the VIN tag, then on the new dash he drilled out the old VIN, put the new tag into old holes, held the tag in place with a few spots of clear RTV.

For the Data tag under the hood, he just drilled out the old rivets reinstalled the new tag with regular steel rivets and called it good.

Only time I had any LAW look at my VIN was when they were comparing my proof of insurance against the VIN all they looked at was on the dash, they had no need to look at body tags.

The guy I know that heard it from someone who read it on the gas station sh!!house wall said they just popped the rivets out of the plastic dash, like a really stiff snap on a jacket, and popped the new one in it's place.

It may have been summer time (plastic more pliable when warm), but both sets came out, and went back in without any drilling, or damage to the plastic.

Same guy tried the same thing a few years later, and ended up cracking the dash, so YMMV.