4.0L HO head swap

The coolant lines will line up fine, however the ports on the head are in a different spot than the manifolds.

ahh. nice thank you. so if i get the HO intake and exhaust manifolds it should just be a bolt on deal.

thanks for the knowledge!

The coolant lines will line up fine, however the ports on the head are in a different spot than the manifolds.

ahh. nice thank you. so if i get the HO intake and exhaust manifolds it should just be a bolt on deal.

thanks for the knowledge!

Not quite.

The throttle bodies are different. The Renix throttle body will not bolt right onto the HO intake manifold.

Not quite.

The throttle bodies are different. The Renix throttle body will not bolt right onto the HO intake manifold.

oh yeah, thank you. I was going to use the HO throttle body too and hope the new sensors will match up with the plugs.

no, it's not a bolt on swap.

you will need an adapter to mate your TPS to the new throttle body (hesco makes one)

also,

-HO exhaust manifold and intermediate pipe (or block off the EGR port in the renix manifold (but the renix manifold is highly inefficient when compared to the later ones and probably cracked anyways)

-your IAC will bolt in the HO throttle body so thats good

-you will need to lengthen the wiring for your intake air temp sensor or drill/tap a hole for it

-all the vacuum is different

-depending on the year of the head you will need an HO thermostat housing for you temp sensor and lengthen the wiring.

-fuel rail for the HO and the fuel lines for an HO

its a job for sure. i just completed my adaptation and the only reason i did it is because someone previously swapped my motor to an HO and it wasn't right with the improper manifolds.

no, it's not a bolt on swap.

you will need an adapter to mate your TPS to the new throttle body (hesco makes one)

also,

-HO exhaust manifold and intermediate pipe (or block off the EGR port in the renix manifold (but the renix manifold is highly inefficient when compared to the later ones and probably cracked anyways)

-your IAC will bolt in the HO throttle body so thats good

-you will need to lengthen the wiring for your intake air temp sensor or drill/tap a hole for it

-all the vacuum is different

-depending on the year of the head you will need an HO thermostat housing for you temp sensor and lengthen the wiring.

-fuel rail for the HO and the fuel lines for an HO

its a job for sure. i just completed my adaptation and the only reason i did it is because someone previously swapped my motor to an HO and it wasn't right with the improper manifolds.

ahh, yes. you make good points.

what I am doing is taking the head from a '95 jeep grand cherkee 4.0L that I found in the yard and unbolting the head from the block while leaving the intake and exhaust manifolds attached, along with the thermostat housing, fuel rail and all the sensors and vacuum lines.

then, i'll try to reconnect everything. it doesn't sound like too big of a headache and its only gonna cost $75 from the wrecking yard.

then I got the fuel injectors from a '95 JGC 5.2L, which flow better at the same psi. after I port the heads myself and finish the intake and maybe put the 62mm throttle body on, she should be a screamer (on the stock side of screaming that is)

thanks guys

also, watch out for wiring on the coolant temp sensor on the side of the block, and the o2 sensor. you'll need to make supports for the wiring so that they don't lie on the exhaust... :oops:

and you'll need fuel lines from an HO,

you can get the front part of the lines from an XJ (more easily found), and just splice them with your renix lines using (5/16th?) compression fittings.

you may also need the PS pump setup as i think even the early HO intakes use different mounting for the pump than the renix's large bracket. (get both high and low pressure hoses off the new style if you need the pump as you will need to mix and match lines)

after that the late model intake is an easy swap...

check out my thread here http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17821

I would suggest having your head inspected by a local machine shop/engine builder. Although the '95 model year heads are known to be very reliable, I would still make sure it will sit flat on your block and is not cracked. Or you can just bolt it up and hope for the best :brows: