jeep part swap

ok... i have a 86 comanche and want to change out the d35 with maybe a d44 with disc brakes out of a cherokee. I just wanted to know all the parts i would have to swap out when i go to the junk yard so i don't have to return to remove more parts.

Your not going to find a stock cherokee with a D44 with disc brakes. I will let someone with more knowledge on widths and such to answer the rest. The newer cherokee 8.25 has disk brakes and will bolt under your mj with a little spring perch relocation.

ok... i have a 86 comanche and want to change out the d35 with maybe a d44 with disc brakes out of a cherokee. I just wanted to know all the parts i would have to swap out when i go to the junk yard so i don't have to return to remove more parts.

There are no Cherokees with disc brakes in the rear. Period. You can find GRAND Cherokees with disc brakes in the rear, but the Grand Cherokee "Dana 44" is a special D44 with an aluminum differential housing that's even weaker than a D35 housing, so IMHO swapping in one of those is a downgrade rather than an upgrade. Plus, because the aluminum housing has different dimensions, a lot of parts for a normal D44 won't fit the aluminum version.

We need more info about you MJ to tell you any more, what engine you have, 2.5 4 cyl, or 2.8 V6, what trans you have, auto or manual, and if manual, 4 or 5 speed, If your truck is 4x4 or 2wd. We can then tell you what will work and what won't. For example.. an 86 with a 2.8 v6, 5 speed trans will have an AX5 trans, NP207 transfer case, and 4:10 gearing in the axles with either a Dana 35 rear axle, or an AMC 20 rear axle if it has the metric tonne package, and a Dana 30 front axle. We can tell you that a 4.0 is not a drop in swap unless you change the engine with the trans and transfer case and driveshafts and wiring inside and out, and fuel pump. Stuff like that and everything else in between. There is a wealth of knowledge here about these trucks and we are happy to help. Let us know what you got!

is there any kinda web page out there with all the jeep specs on which motors, transmissons, transfercases, drivelines, and diffs that can be swapped? any info would be great!

this is fun...

my comanche is awaiting attention but my tj has had a few different parts added that i will list for entertainment purposes...

zj tie rod (replaced by currie)

full size jeep steering gear

xj high pinoin 30

explorer 8.8 rear axle

volvo 250 a/c compressor

buick air box/filter

parts from every year tj

aw-4 trans from an xj

dodge dakota alternator

theres more... just can't remember... :dunno: