Overheating

So here is hat I have done

I have tried a high flow housing and a 180 degree fail safe thermostat. I have not been able to get it to seal so I dumped a small amour of stop leak into coolant. Driving around in town I was overheating??

I stop there was coolant in bottle

I was sitting in alot of traffic and there was alot of stop and go.

Help?

Did you make sure you don't have any air pockets in the system?

Do you have a fan shroud?

Do you have an aux fan, and is it working?

How's the condition of your radiator?

I wouldn't run a 180 thermastat. Run the OEM 195, that is what the engine was designed to run with.

Did you make sure you don't have any air pockets in the system?

Do you have a fan shroud?

Do you have an aux fan, and is it working?

How's the condition of your radiator?

I wouldn't run a 180 thermastat. Run the OEM 195, that is what the engine was designed to run with.

I think I am good wit no air pockets.

Yes I have a shroud

I have an aux fan not hooked up

I'm not sure it looks ok

Ok it is time for you to get this mess cleaned up, straightened up and done right. I have seen your picture that you posted, those two girls are cute for someone your age, but they ain't gonna ride with you if your truck don't work right AND their Daddy is gonna put a load of buckshot in your tail if your truck leaks crap all over his driveway when you come to visit. (Yes, I am old and occasionally grouchy, though not as old as some around here!) I am going to type this like I'm talking to one of my sons and you probably already know all this, but pay attention. :D

Steps as I have done on an 88 MJ w/4.0L.

1. go to Jeep dealership parts and get a 195 degree Jeep thermostat. It will come with a new gasket, make sure you get that as well. First thing you will notice is that it has a hole with a BB in a carrier on the flat housing. This is to be installed at the 12 o'clock position. It is important, especially for the closed system that you have.

2. Loosen, NOT REMOVE, the 3 or 4 bolts holding the power steering assy. in locked position (I think there are two in the back, you will become some kind of contortionist to get them), THEN back the adjustment bolt out to give slack in the serp. belt. DON'T take it all the way out, just enough to get the belt off the top pulleys and drop it out of the way.

3. Remove hoses without tearing them up and unbolt the thermostat housing. Clean up all that crap you have spread around making sure that you don't get any in the engine.

4. IF you just have to use RTV, put it on the housing side and place the gasket on it. It doesn't have to be but just a little. I will sometimes take a Q-Tip and remove the cotton and use the end to spread RTV in places.

5. Place the new stat into place on the engine then put the housing in place and start the top bolt. When it is started, without jiggling the housing, start the bottom bolt. You did remember to put the stat in with the little hole at the top, didn't you? (This is A LOT easier without the belt in the way and there is less chance of misalignment issues or cracked housing from trying to do it the hard way.)

6. Snug the bolts up like they should be and replace hoses.

7. Put your serp. belt back in place and snug up the power steering assy. Adjust to proper belt tension. (My opinion is when properly tensioned, you get 1/2" deflection when you push on it with your finger. That is because I don't have a measuring tool. I'm sure they are not that expensive.)

8. Jack up the rear end of the truck so that the back of the engine is higher than the front.

9. Reach way back there and unplug your wire connection to your temp sensor. (look up pictures on this site for where that is, I don't have any.) Unscrew the sensor so that it is loose enough to turn with your fingers.

10. Now for the really good part. While filling the system with new coolant, loosen the temp sensor to allow air to escape. When coolant seeps out around the sensor, screw it back in good and snug. Continue filling until you have 1" of coolant in the bottom of that little pressure bottle.

11. Put the cap back on the pressure bottle.

Now you can start it and let it get warm. After it reaches operating temp, adjust your interior heater selector to warm so that part of the system is filled as well. If you find that it needs coolant, add it but only enough to the bottom third of the pressure bottle. Coolant expands as it gets warm. You should be good to go now, you might want to clean up a little bit before you take the girls for a ride.

If others who read this have clarifications or corrections, please add and add loudly. I've stated before, I've got thick skin.

As for you, young fella, take this with a grain of salt from someone who had to learn the hard and expensive way about the closed system. I hate doing things twice because I didn't listen to the experience of others. :mad:

Scott