atk remain engine

somnus

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up about atk. I have been trying to get an engine repaired/replaced under warranty thru them for acouple of weeks now and i am getting nowhere. :headpop: It doesn't look like they like to do warranty work

A little back ground....... 2000 jeep wrangler with 4.0 and auto trans. It is all stock accept for a 1 in body lift and 31 at's. the original engine failed due to cracked head (bearing failure) at 86,000 miles. I ordered a remain from atk and installed it along with the usual new waterpump, hoses, thermostat, spark plugs, and air filter. I also replaced the a/c compressor at that time. that was june of 07, fast forward to now. with 98,000 miles and the engine is trashed. the engine was knocking so i took it to a mechanic and had him inspect it. He said the noise was rod knock and that the engine needed to be replaced. I called atk and they said send it back and we will inspect it and determin what is wrong with it. they called me back and said the rods were "hammered" and that it was caused by detination and not covered under warranty. they then offered to send it back for the cost of freight or sell me another engine at a 600.00 savings but only covered under the remainder of my warranty (8 months). I am still trying to convince them that it was a faulty build not my jeep that caused the problem but considering they have my original engine, my faulty reman engine and my money, I am not holding my breath that they will do anything.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. So they would sell you another engine but only with your remaining 8 month warranty? What kind of business only warranties their engine for 8 months? Goes to show you they don't have faifth in their own work. If I was in your place, I tell them to ship back my original motor at their cost and to stick the other engine where the sun don't shine.

If you get your original back, I'd look at getting everything rebuilt and build a stroker :cheers:

So ATK is saying that your engine failed due to detination, do you mean pinging? That would be difficult for them to prove as your truck is supposed to run with 87 octane. Here in California I had a friend with a 1998 Chevy van have its transmission fail in 2000. They replaced it then under warranty and in 2002 with less than the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, it failed again. They charged my friend $3,000 to replace the transmission, he took the Chevy dealer to small claims court and the judge said that the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty applied to each replaced transmission, and he got his money back.

I think they owe you an engine.

atk is a pretty reputable rebuilder, i'm suprised to hear this. they don't have a very hi failure rate which is probably part of this problem. companies that have a hi failure rate just send out replacements like nothing.

i agree though, detonation on an engine that runs 87 octane?