where is my fill plug??

O.K. I have looked all over the tranmission and I have located the drain plug which is directly on the bottom of the trans. All I can find is a torx head bolt that says "do not remove" on it. The vehicle in question is a 1987 2wd Sportruck 2.5, 4-speed. :hmm:

if that torx plug is on the driver side of the trans, about half way up the side, it is the fill plug. Alternately, you can pull the shifter out of the top of the trans and fill it from inside the cab.

Jeff

(the fill plug on my TJ is the same plug with the same warning.....I guess you're never supposed to change the fluid :shake: )

Yup driver's side, halfway up. Cool I thought the trans would fall apart or something if I removed that. :dunce: Do you have to get new crush washers for the plugs or should they be O.K. to just go back in there?

Update: The filler plug is on the passenger side just behind the mid-plate above the reverse switch. It is a flat head hex plug just like the drain plug. The "don't remove" plug is a linkage plug. This is for an AX4-5. Just FYI. :smart:

I have to disagree with you possum......you've got it backwards. The plug on the passenger side is in the trans body midsection, and behind it is a detent ball and spring. Plus, it's much higher up. The fill plug is on the driverside, on the front section of the tranny:

Image Not Found

I don't have it.

Wow, gearbox fill plug location is a matter of personal opinion. I'm going with Possum one this one. I used the large hex bolt for both the 86 Ax5 with 4wd and the 88 AX4 2wd. I think that's per the owners manual.