E-Brake Broken

You can post a request for a working unit in the classifieds here. Most times when someone asks about one, someone comes through with unit they are willing to sell. Mine went bad a few years ago and I picked a working assembly here that worked out fine.

Can't say for sure about the CJ/YJ brakes, but I've never seen anyone mention them as a useable replacement. Most likely they are in the center console like the XJ's.

Good luck with the search.

CJ's use the same style foot operated e-brake. They are also in short supply though you can occasionally pick one up on ebay. Few years back I got a remanufactered unit for $5 due to no bids. Seller came through with completion of the sale. Hats off to people like that.

E-brake broken , have tried cleaning but the ratchet just won't hold . Is the MJ e-brake the same as CJ or YJ models ? Any suggestions on where to source a new replacement assembly ? :dunno:

A lot of times when the ratchet stops working is because the spring has broke or fallen off. It's located at the top and holds resistance on the ratchet.

Check that out and if it is not the problem I have one listed in the classifieds.

:cheers:

E-brake broken , have tried cleaning but the ratchet just won't hold . Is the MJ e-brake the same as CJ or YJ models ? Any suggestions on where to source a new replacement assembly ? :dunno:

A lot of times when the ratchet stops working is because the spring has broke or fallen off. It's located at the top and holds resistance on the ratchet.

Check that out and if it is not the problem I have one listed in the classifieds.

Checked the springs (thanks for the photo , very helpful ) and found top one in place but the lower one at the cable attachment missing . Could this be part of the problem , or is the spring just to return the pedal on release ? :dunno:

Yes it can cause the ratchet to not work properly. If there is nothing pulling against the ratchet than it will not engauge. At least I think that's right. The way I understand it is the one at the top holds the finger of the stop in place while the one at the bottom provides the resistance for the ratchet and release of the brake which returns the pedal up.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it can cause the ratchet to not work properly. If there is nothing pulling against the ratchet than it will not engauge. At least I think that's right. The way I understand it is the one at the top holds the finger of the stop in place while the one at the bottom provides the resistance for the ratchet and release of the brake which returns the pedal up.

Hope this makes sense.

I'll give it a try , actually I remember finding a "brake shoe return spring " on the floor a while back and thinking that was kinda odd , I guess thats the missing spring ? Hopefully I can find a spring to fit :hmm:

Hope this makes sense.

I'll give it a try , actually I remember finding a "brake shoe return spring " on the floor a while back and thinking that was kinda odd , I guess thats the missing spring ? Hopefully I can find a spring to fit :hmm:

Found a carb linkage spring that fits perfect :thumbsup: It helped a bit , but still wouldn't hold consistantly .The top spring is pretty weak , so I did a temp fix by wrapping a rubber band around the pawl release . That seems to be working , hopefully long enough for me to find the correct top replacement spring :yes: Thanks mfpdm for walking me through this ,much appreciated :bowdown: