Brakes just got soft?

Driving today I was gettign some water out of the bed and slammed on the brakes hards.. afterwards I have a really low pedal.. the brakes still hold tight and stop the truck, but the pedal is real low and feel unsafe. Any thoughts... I was going to bleed them, but ernesto is dampening thoes plans.

Just as a thought, I'd check the rear brake shoes / adjusters first, thats if there is no fluid loss from a brake line / hose popping. Its posible that the master cyl is locking up, not fully returning, I had that happen on a ford van after a panic stop, and had to replace the master cyl. :wrench:

I have seen guys slam on brake and due to old master cylinders and other parts it will squirt brake fluid out of them. Check and see if the backing plates or back of the tires have fluid on them. It might be hard since its raining to see any wet places.

Cole

10:1 you popped the steel line feeding the rear brakes. Check your master cylinder and I'll bet the chamber for the rear brakes (the small chamber) is either low or completely empty.

The most common place for a rupture is along the frame rail where the lines pass over the fuel tank. Next most likely place would be one of the lines on the rar axle itself, from the junction block to one of the wheels.

Drop me a PM with your phone number. We can check it out on Monday if you don't have plans.