90 base, 6 cyl, 4x4 longbed

Finally stopped raining so I got the opportunity to check out the rust holes in more detail. :(

Small hole from above

Large hole from above

Large hole from below

Small hole from below

Well not the end of the world, just gotta get them repaired. Crawled around underneath and there really is not much more. Unibody frame looks ok as well as all mounts - inside rear bed fenderwells, etc. If you look at the pic of the large hole from above - it looks like the dreaded clutch fluid leak.

Wow, you take great pictures. I will have to get going on mine also, I seem to work on it only at night. The new gauge cluster looks awesome! What a nice gesture of your wife to buy into your hobby getting you carpet, I bought the same carpet from ebay as well. Keep going, looking great!

Wow, you take great pictures. I will have to get going on mine also, I seem to work on it only at night. The new gauge cluster looks awesome! What a nice gesture of your wife to buy into your hobby getting you carpet, I bought the same carpet from ebay as well. Keep going, looking great!

Thank you for the compliment. Keeps me motivated to work on the truck! Lately we have been buisy at work and with the move to the new house. I finished putting installing the headliner and sunvisors in the dark, and that sure was interesting trying to get the screws for the sunvisors lined up thru the small holes in the headliner when I could barely see up there.

Unfortunately, no other factory rig is that massive, has an available diesel and 4wd, and comes with a solid front axle. props to Ford for making something worthwhile. :D

Our Excursion is a 2005, last year made I think. 6.0 diesel, full tow package with air bag leveling in the rear and electric trailer brakes, 4x4, A/C, factory entertainment system and all the goodies. It has a Dana 60 front axle! Its primarily my wifes daily driver. We have four children - two girls and two boys between the ages of 5 and 15. The truck can haul them, thier friends, all thier stuff, tows the LJ and still has tons of power on the freeway. If its not pulling anything, you have to watch your speed because as big as it is - it just wants to flat out haul azz. :D

It has had a few expensive engine problems (Horizontal fuel conditioning module, Fuel injection control module, EGR)but we still love it! I think the previous owner did not take care of it. Maint on these big diesels is critical. Got it during the height of the fuel crisis for just under $20,000. NADA was still over $32,000 used and new in 05 it cost over $50,000.

• 1 month later...

Well the Comanche has taken a trip up to Mountian Valley Customs in PA. The truck is my daily driver now. I have been stupidly buisy with work and moving into the new house. With all the rain around here I couldent leave the holes in the floor and I diddnt have time to fix them myself.

The floor has been fixed, the dash light problem worked out, but they are catching hell trying to put the 95 Cherokee seats onto the Comanche brackets. :hmm:

questions about this in the tech forum.

Pix of the floor fix and new carpet install when I get the truck back.

Unfortunately, no other factory rig is that massive, has an available diesel and 4wd, and comes with a solid front axle. props to Ford for making something worthwhile. :D

what about a dodge power wagon?

Well the Comanche has taken a trip up to Mountian Valley Customs in PA. The truck is my daily driver now. I have been stupidly buisy with work and moving into the new house. With all the rain around here I couldent leave the holes in the floor and I diddnt have time to fix them myself.

The floor has been fixed, the dash light problem worked out, but they are catching hell trying to put the 95 Cherokee seats onto the Comanche brackets. :hmm:

questions about this in the tech forum.

Pix of the floor fix and new carpet install when I get the truck back.

floors are nice :D too bad i don't have any

Not available from the factory as a diesel.

Willy

Willy

Nor does it seat 7. I want a minivan on steroids. :D

Willy

Nor does it seat 7. I want a minivan on steroids. :D

4016VF%20-%20Ford%20Quigley.jpg

thought about that. waaaaaaay outta my budget.

enough of this hijack. :shake: Jeepinsoldier, any updates?

The MJ is still up at Mountian Valley Customs in PA. I spoke with them and confirmed that after checking with this site that the 95 seats are not an easy mod to the MJ bench brackets.

Had a couple of options. There are 1990 MJ bucket seats and brackets in a JY near them but no idea of condition or cost. Second option was for MVC to custom fabricate seat brackets. I have not heard back from them as Friday was insane at work for me and that winter storm is hammering us all right now. The MJ is supposed to be finished by Monday. Ill post up as soon as I know somthing and then pix of the results.

Woo Hoo!

Picked up the Manche last night from Rob at Mountian Valley Customs. They fabricated seat mounts as as the stock bucket seat mounts would have been too expensive. Holes in the floor are fixed and dash lights are working as well. Happy to have it back, was starting to miss the thing. Next is knocking the remainder of the surface rust off the floor and coating with POR 15 then pulling the seats and console long enough to replace the carpet. Gonna put a set of Husky Liners over the carpet once its in. Trying to decide between black and grey.

Pix of the floor fix, seats and console installed and detail shots of the fabbed brackets below. Full interior shot is not the best but the light was reflecting off the siding on the side of the house and messing up the camera. Ill take some more later. For now...........

• 1 year later...

Well its been a long time since I last posted. Some great progress on some of the builds here!

Picked up a 3.55 non disco HP30 for the front and a stripped Cherokee Dana 44 for the rear, but have not had the time or money to build them up yet.

I have been super buisy at work and really just been driving the MJ. Last summer the exhaust rusted out where it attached to the rear of the cat and dropped onto the road! Should have seen the expressions from the people on the roadside at the bus stop. The manche was trailing a rooster tail of sparks. Like a WWII fighter pilot, I checked the oil pressure and engine temp - then drove it to the next safe place to stop.

Got a new cat and exhaust from NAPA, then one of my Soldiers welded it on for me. Picked up a nice black chrome truck box and installed it.

Last weekend finally fixed the valve cover leak that the truck has had since I bought it. Also replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oxygen sensor and fuel filter. Changed the oil and replaced the drain plug with a magnetic plug. Finally, while I was doing this a friend pulled the stripped driver window regulator and replaced it with one from a donor Cherokee door.

Still have not installed the carpet as the windshield is leaking from somewhere. I plan on replacing the windshield with later Cherokee style rubber seals and Line X'ing the bed later this fall.