starter not engaging and burning wire.

went to start jeep, starter did not engage so i tried a few more times and i saw smoke come out from the hood and saw it burned a wire going to a central relay? underneath that cover its a green wire. so i thought the starter was seized and the wire just burned out because of that, went to autozone and tested the starter and it was bad so i bought and put on a new one but still same problem... i just twisted back together the 2 ends of the wires that burned and still no engagement of soleniod on starter or anything on the starter and that wire smokes now like its building up alot of power to it. its never had any problem starting before... any sugestions?

Change out that burned up wire too!! The resistance in it form getting smoked like that renders it useless!!! Change out ANY wire that is melted as well!! Have you ever stripped back the insulation and see that black residue on the copper? That's corrosion and it robs the conductivity of the wire, kinda like a clog in a water pipe. Resistance is an impedance on the wires ability to carry current. New, clean wires go a LONG way to overall better running and operating vehicle. This is part of the reason adding ground wires has such a positive effect. the existing wires have so much resistance they hardly work at all.

Good luck,

CW

:agree:

Check / Replace both battery cables, there 20 years old, and if you take the loom off the cables, you just might find the problem :eek:

Read the first section of this, to see how the cables can look inside the loom, and what other results they can cause, and yea, this guy replaced the starter, and it all came down to the cables frying out the starter relay and ECU :eek:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17900&p=182058&hilit=battery+cables#p182058

Your "smoking" wire is telling you something.

Find the source of the problem.

:agree:

Check / Replace both battery cables, there 20 years old, and if you take the loom off the cables, you just might find the problem :eek:

Read the first section of this, to see how the cables can look inside the loom, and what other results they can cause, and yea, this guy replaced the starter, and it all came down to the cables frying out the starter relay and ECU :eek:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17900&p=182058&hilit=battery+cables#p182058

Your "smoking" wire is telling you something.

Find the source of the problem.

took off the cables, going to buy new ones soon, and I'm guessing this is a fusable link that burned up, any advice on how to fix that? or am i going to have to undo the whole harness and find where it originates and replace the whole thing

?

Image Not Found

To fix the Fusible link you need to jump the burnt wire with a new piece of fusible link (NOT REG WIRE). There is an elec FSM in the DIY section in PDF and it should show how to do it with the instr.

man thank you for telling me that... that's all i needed.

Hopefully your on your way now, but if not those fusible links are available form the "HELP" section of your local parts store. You just need to know what was its rating, hopefully your manual will give you that information.

Good luck,

CW