'90 elminator

After selling my old '87 that was on a d44 and ford 9" with 35" boggers, i had a couple other cars but got the comanche itch again.

old-

New-

1990 Eliminator 2wd shortbed with 4.0l-aw4 and bucket seats jamminz.gif

Future plans-4x4 conversion with Toyota axle swap with 30 spline longfields and 31-32s and a plow for my landscape company.

Currently need to figure out why the trans won't shift out of first gear. Install o2 sensor that magically disappeared by previous owner. Replace passenger side window that was smashed.

Here is the Toyota axle that i will be swapping in. It is pass. drop so i will be flipping it and rotating the third member and knuckle balls. Loaded with stock 4.10 gears 1.5" wheel spacers which brings it about 3/4" narrower than a stock D30, and 30 spline Longfield axle shafts.

I believe I saw it on "Extreme 4x4" the tv show. Essentially, you pull out the 3rd member, gut the housing, pull off the knuckles, flip the housing to become a drivers side drop, then reassemble. If you say it fast enough, it almost sounds easy. :D

Ya, I sold my toyota pickup that i was going to swap this into, so now i figured id put it into my comanche. But from what ive read, rotating the knuckles is easier on a yota axle than on a dana axle. Ive also read that the 3rd member won't just be able to rotate 180* and still bolt in, so some holes will ahve to be redrilled. SHould be a fun project.

New-

1990 Eliminator 2wd shortbed with 4.0l-aw4 and bucket seats jamminz.gif

Wow, that looks like a really nice MJ. I'd like to see a few more pics of that one before you change it. (actually I would really like to see a side shot with the white truck/black rockers as I have been thinking of doing this to mine, :brows: ) And about that Toy axle...since it doesn't sound like your doing anything extreme with the truck, wouldn't it be easier to just slap an XJ axle in it? :hmm: Anyway, nice find.

-James

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I sold the toyota axle cuz i got an offer i couldnt refuse. Good news is i had a non disco d30 in stock. I'm picking up a trans. tomorrow. While I was collecting parts for the 4x4 swap I decided to repaint it. PO tried to cover up rust with a different color white and it looked like :mad:. I went with an off white (or almond for the women) and repainted the parts that were already black with a semi gloss. Also picked up new stickers from http://www.jeepsticker.com, even sent me two "4 wheel drive" stickers for free jamminz.gif. Great website and i def. recommend them to everyone. Here are some pictures of it painted.

I know you don't have the yota axle anymore, but if you flip the centersection, won't the axle then want to run in the reverse direction? Or were you talking about swapping the tubes side to side, leaving the center section, and knuckles upright, but with opposite tubes? I think the one they did on the Spike show was taking a rear end, flipping it over and making the axles and putting it all in the front so the reverse direction would work out OK. But you can't just flip an axle upside down and have it turn in the right direction. Sorry I had to get that off my chest.

The toyota axle is just like a ford 9" with a removable third member. So all i would do is flip the housing, then rotate the knuckle balls 180*. The third member will remain a low pinion just on the drivers side rather than passenger side. I think that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...