to sell my cj or not...that is the question

brdhntr

i am considering selling my cj project since i haven't had time to work on it in 3 years. i would still get another jeep, but maybe a newer wrangler from arizona or other rust free state. this is the 6th cj i've done and i'm kinda getting sick of the rust issues. it would be nice to get one that i don't have to weld new metal in or replace the tub.

problem is, i bought it from the original owner that drove it off the dealership showroom floor back in 78. he special ordered it. i have all the original paperwork and it has been unmolested. it's a 78 cj7 renegade levi's edition. the 4.2 was rebuilt and has about 500 miles on it. i fogged the cylinders and drained everything so the motor is still perfect. my wife wants it all original, i want to mod it.

if i sell it i'll probably only get 1500 or so, but it's better than having it take up room in the garage and never get worked on. i'd just look for a cj or wrangler elsewhere with 0 rust. i spend quite a bit of time in arizona and have my brother and nephew keeping their eyes open for me.

i just can't decide if it should go or not. i've only spent a few of the years since i can drive without a cj.

not sure what to do. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

It's s tough choice. Do I keep it a bit longer, hoping that I'll be able to rekindle the spark? 3 years is a long time to not touch it. I left my 88 parked for 2 whole years, but life did eventually give me the time to build it up into the 4x4 that it is today (major illness and a surprise unemployment). But then, the truck wasn't anything special in the beginning, except to me. No one was ever going to tell me that I should have left it as a stock 2wd MJ.

If that CJ was mine, I'd keep an eye out for a better rig that I'd be more than happy to molest. But I wouldn't even think of selling the CJ until the new one was in my driveway. Then I'd start all over with whether or not I should sell it.

Thought about replacing the body with a fiberglass one?

It's s tough choice. Do I keep it a bit longer, hoping that I'll be able to rekindle the spark? 3 years is a long time to not touch it. I left my 88 parked for 2 whole years, but life did eventually give me the time to build it up into the 4x4 that it is today (major illness and a surprise unemployment). But then, the truck wasn't anything special in the beginning, except to me. No one was ever going to tell me that I should have left it as a stock 2wd MJ.

If that CJ was mine, I'd keep an eye out for a better rig that I'd be more than happy to molest. But I wouldn't even think of selling the CJ until the new one was in my driveway. Then I'd start all over with whether or not I should sell it.

Thought about replacing the body with a fiberglass one?

thought about it. real jeeps are steel. i usually just cut my own panels and weld them in. i like to custom fit them rather than go store bought and trim them to fit.

it's not a big deal to keep it. i still have the desire, i'm just restoring a car right now so i don't have time for it. i will when the car is done. it's just wether or not i should let someone else have this piece of history with a story and just pick something up when i'm ready. it's already been decided it won't be a wheeler. some motor mods, 3 inch lift or so and 32's. this will be my wife's jeep. it's gona be done all original right down to the levi's denim seats and buttons. it will do a few mild trails, but nothing major.

she just doesn't want to see me working and building jeeps all the time. she'd rather see me drive it and enjoy it. if i keep this one, i'm still going to pick up something from down south. i've traveled all over to pick up jeeps and will again.

i just hate to see this perticular jeep with it's history sitting in the garage.

i was hoping to have the car done this year, but that won't happen now. maybe next year.

the next wrench in the plan is i'm hoping to buy my dad's xj and build that up to wheel with the family. he won't be happy about that so i won't tell him until the titles in my name. ;)

Yeah, real Jeeps try their darndest to rot away on ya. How the rest of the rig? Seats and whatnot in good shape?

seats are original and ripped, but they have all the buttons. top is great. all the gauges and electric worked. drivetrain is excellent. hood is perfect (minus the paint) and the frame is great. front grill assembly is great. i would basically need to replace the fenders and spend many hours welding on the tub. i've done it before. the last cj i did i had about 100 hours into the bodywork in all. that's with taking it all apart, the welding, fine bodywork, etc., putting it back together and painting it, then finishing of with color sanding and buffing.

i didn't have kids then and only 1 dog to train. ;)