Front disco test

so what's the best way for me to figure out if the front disco on my d30 is working? It's the vacuum operated jobby. If I jacked up the front and put it in 4WD and tried to turn a front wheel would I be able to feel the difference between 4 and 2? Or is there just a way I can look at it and see if it's working?

Just jack up the front end off the ground like you were planning with it in 4wd and rotate the right front wheel.

You should either see the left front wheel spinning in the opposite direction, (open front diff) or it won't want to rotate at all easily or you will hear clicking (limited slip/locker).

If it turns freely it isn't engaged. (A fun trick you can play on your YJ friends is to take the vacuum plug on the actuater and reattach it with the hoses backwards- the axle will be disconnected when when in 4wd and connected when in 2wd)

Just jack up the front end off the ground like you were planning with it in 4wd and rotate the right front wheel.

You should either see the left front wheel spinning in the opposite direction, (open front diff) or it won't want to rotate at all easily or you will hear clicking (limited slip/locker).

If it turns freely it isn't engaged. (A fun trick you can play on your YJ friends is to take the vacuum plug on the actuater and reattach it with the hoses backwards- the axle will be disconnected when when in 4wd and connected when in 2wd)

that's what I figured should happen.

That was the plan, just needed a second opinion.

unfortunately she's not quite ready for serious dirt.

I've got a laundry list of thngs to do.

Clutch Hose line broke today.

Wheel bearings are shot

AX-15 needs rebuilt

Electrical system is in disrepair, I figure about 2 weekends to make everything work right again.

I hope to have it trail ready with maybe a little bit of lift next summer

How close are you to western PA, like around Pittsburgh and points east? Reason is, I travel up there about every 6 weeks or so, and can pony up parts from the junkyard down here if you need them. Like your AX15....last week there were 4 of them down here to choose from, @ $89.95 each. If you're strapped for parts sources for your rebuild, lemme know if I can help ya.

and for the CAD, you can shim over the shift fork and "lock" the inner/outer shafts together permanently if you want, and forget about worrying if the vac motor is working or not :)

Jeff

edit: hub assemblies are like $20 each (or something close to that...)

man, if you get me a working AX-15 for $89 I'll make the trip down!

My grandma lives in stuebenville. It's just across the river. I could pick up there. SHe'd be thrilled to haveme come anyway, just don't tell her it's for jeep parts. The case on mine is good. It's just the input shaft bearing.