new guy with a question

hey all I'm new here but not to jeeps. i just got a 86 comanche X that is a gun mettel grey color,black bumpers, brush guard and red int, it has the 2.8 i think v6 and runs good, but i bought it broke, the po had done some thing to it and long story short the pinion gear in the rear end is wedged up against the ring gear. so i was going to go to the JY to try to find a new rear end i think its an 8.25. what shuld i look for that could have one in it. i will try to post some pics of the truck soon.

any other tips would be great.

thanks.

IF it is an 8.25 its been swapped it. There is no drop in 8.25 avalible. Your only option for a bolt in is a D35 or a D44. If you really want another 8.25, you will need to weld in new perches and shock mounts to a XJ 8.25 axle. IF you go this route, try to get a 29SPL 8.25 axle.

You didnt mention if its a 4WD. If it is, BE CAREFUL WITH RATIOS. They need to match.

CW

yes it is 4wd the cover on the axle is the oval shape it must be te d35, i don't know much about the smaller axles all my fsjs have d44s. i did not want to have to mess with changing out gears that is why i just wanted to find a bolt in replacement.

i don't know if it has any kind of lift but it fits 31x10.50 on 15x8s with out rub. its gonna be a dd/medeum trail rig a small 3in lift might go on l8er. i just want to find a rear end so i can get it on the road without having to change and set gears. cause 8mi to the gallon in my 77 J10 is pulling down my wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

well i found a d35 with 3.55 gears thanks reeser. gonn start working on getting the old one out and swaping breaks. i will post some pics tonight. but is there any thing yall think i shuld know? allso I'm looking for parts for the break valve thing i can't think of the name, but i still have the valve it self i just need the parts that go from the rear end to it so if any body is in the area and has one let me know. thanks john.