late model intake swap (caution: renix content!)

i still have one hurtle and it's not causing damage, it's just not right...

the late model (HO and newer) Throttle position sensor is on a 1-4v scale, the renix one is .82-5v scale.

so at WOT my truck thinks it's at 80% throttle (checked with the scan tool, has a readout for throttle % :clapping: )

i'm still pondering how to make it work, it appears the o2 sensor or somebody is making up for the lean condition though cause it's not knocking (and the knock sensor is broken in half :eek: )

in further news, i'm enjoying the flowmaster 50 series and new cat, smells clean out the tailpipe and nice and quiet exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...
i still have one hurtle and it's not causing damage, it's just not right...

the late model (HO and newer) Throttle position sensor is on a 1-4v scale, the renix one is .82-5v scale.

so at WOT my truck thinks it's at 80% throttle (checked with the scan tool, has a readout for throttle % :clapping: )

i'm still pondering how to make it work, it appears the o2 sensor or somebody is making up for the lean condition though cause it's not knocking (and the knock sensor is broken in half :eek: )

in further news, i'm enjoying the flowmaster 50 series and new cat, smells clean out the tailpipe and nice and quiet exhaust.

This guy modified a Renix TPS to work on a HO throttle body...

http://www.rockmodified.com/Tech/TB/tb_perf.htm

• 3 weeks later...
You would have to use the renix tps with an aw4, or it would never downshift, and shift up so quickly it would bog.

good thing it's a manual then eh? :cheers: but true!

thanks for the website, i adapted the TPS to work on the HO throttle, and got that working well.

i also had to replace the o2 sensor because the one i put in 2 years ago already had a bad heater! :headpop:

but it passed emissions after that with flying colors, even with no egr (but i had figured it would since the later ones don't need EGR)

• 1 month later...

i never posted up the emissions report info on my truck... PASS

25/15mph test
                              Reading           Allowed         Result
HC ppm                     9                   189               pass
CO %                        0.03               2.36             pass
NOx ppm                   61                  1233             pass
RPM                          2280              2500             max
CO+CO2 %                15.3                6.0               min

50/15mph test
                              Reading           Allowed         Result
HC ppm                     6                   194               pass
CO %                       0.05               1.74              pass
NOx ppm                   264                1340             pass
RPM                         1466               2500             max
CO+CO2 %                15.4                6.0               min

catylitic converter: present pass

fuel cap test: pass

i'd call that flying colors boys! :banana:

So how did you end up adapting the Renix TPS? Also, which fuel rail,regulator, and injectors did you use? Sorry for all the questions,haha, great thread, good work. I have a 7120 head (93'),and a 99 intake/TB/fuel rail/injectors that I want to put into a 87' and I'm trying figure out what else I need to make it work , thanks.

the EASY way is with the HESCO bolt on kit for it. but thats 100$ or so.

i made some spacers for it and slotted the screw out so that the throttle shaft actually turns the sensor much like a flat-head screwdriver would. it's half-@$$ for now because the truck had to be back on the road to pass emissions, and it seems to work well so i haven't messed with it yet.

i am using an OBD1 HO fuel rail because the renix one will not bolt up to the later intakes, with the obd1 fuel regulator/lines. i used compression fittings down on the frame-rail to tap my renix lines into the HO lines.

the fuel pressure regulator on the OBD1 HOs operates at exactly the same pressures (iirc its 31 with vacuum 39 without vacuum) and I'm running 5.0L mustang injectors from five-o motorsports.

the EASY way is with the HESCO bolt on kit for it. but thats 100$ or so.

i made some spacers for it and slotted the screw out so that the throttle shaft actually turns the sensor much like a flat-head screwdriver would. it's half-@$$ for now because the truck had to be back on the road to pass emissions, and it seems to work well so i haven't messed with it yet.

i am using an OBD1 HO fuel rail because the renix one will not bolt up to the later intakes, with the obd1 fuel regulator/lines. i used compression fittings down on the frame-rail to tap my renix lines into the HO lines.

the fuel pressure regulator on the OBD1 HOs operates at exactly the same pressures (iirc its 31 with vacuum 39 without vacuum) and I'm running 5.0L mustang injectors from five-o motorsports.

Thanks, good to know. I believe I have seen an adapted renix fuel rail but it required welding tabs to align w/99+ bolt holes. If your up for it, you should post up pic's of your TPS mod. Were those the 24 lb. injectors?

• 13 years later...

Hey i have a 89 comanche the body and chassis was breaking apart as well as other mainframe problems so i tookthe i6 with the ax-15 and tcase out and am going to put it into my 94 wrangler (I4)  and i need to know what to do with swapping over the renix system