tie rod end replacement question

I'm on a roll today. I'm replacing all 4 tie rod ends (have a front end clunk 4 years after doing the ball joints, believe I have the original 1987 TRE's on there, so they're overdue). When doing the outers, if I count turns carefully, can I be reasonably sure I don't need to have the vehicle aligned afterwards?

Thanks!

:idea:

Just make sure you do the same number of turns on each side. It would be a good idea to count when you take the old ones out, but you will definitely want to do an alignment when you're all done.

Don't worry too much about the alignment. A toe alignment is very easy to do, and since you obviously have the ability to change the TREs, you can easily do it yourself.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

I'm on a roll today. I'm replacing all 4 tie rod ends (have a front end clunk 4 years after doing the ball joints, believe I have the original 1987 TRE's on there, so they're overdue). When doing the outers, if I count turns carefully, can I be reasonably sure I don't need to have the vehicle aligned afterwards?

Thanks!

:idea:

Why can't you just put a mark on it with white out before you take the old ones off?? :idea:

Regardless of how close he gets it, it is still necessary to check the alignment when he's done. There can always be minute differences in the new and old parts, and it only takes a few minutes to check and adjust the alignment.

Regardless of how close he gets it, it is still necessary to check the alignment when he's done. There can always be minute differences in the new and old parts, and it only takes a few minutes to check and adjust the alignment.

Very true sir, but it :dunno: would be way less annoying to just mark it rather than do all the bs counting to get it close........

Over the years I have replaced literally hundreds of tie rod ends and I can tell ya all the thread counting,marking and measuring you can do will only get you CLOSE.I have done this for years only to find that the toe is out 1/8-3/8" out, I guess that is ok if your tires are cheaper than an alignment.But after you wear out your tires you will have to get an alignment anyway. :dunno:

I always measure from a solid stationary part on the tie rod(or TRE to TRE on the big trucks) and go from that point to the center of the grease fitting. That way, if the sleeve of the new joint is longer or shorter, essentially, the stud should be directly under the grease fitting either way, and net the same measurement.

Or you could spend the $50 and get it aligned. ;)

Rob L.

When doing the outers, if I count turns carefully, can I be reasonably sure I don't need to have the vehicle aligned afterwards?

Nope.

In fact, you can be reasonably assured that you DO have to have the alignment checked. I've been playing with cars for over 50 years now, and I haven't had the old "count the turns" trick actually work yet. It gets you in the ballpark, but not close enough to put any serious miles on (unless you don't like your tires).

All that changes is the toe-in. You can check that on a level surface with a tape measure.