Subframe Support

Just a hopefully simple and quick question. I am getting a Lincoln tombstone in the very near future and have some big plans for the MJ. What is the "best" material in your opinion for plateing the subframe for a more rigid structure. I was thinking it don't have to be super thick but I'm not sure. I am wanting to put rock rails on it so it would also need to be strong enough to withstand those. Throw some opinions out there and let me here my options.

Cole

Depends what you're trying to do... Not much rigidy can be gained by plating a MJ unibody. However, if you wish to attach suspension components, rock rails, an exo cage, etc, you need to plate it. Also, you maybe need plating to prevent major damage from rocks.

The only plating I have is from the start of the old LCA pockets back to where the unibody widens... That was the area that seemed to get the most bent from wheeling, and I needed to attach the LAs.

The idea is so i might have decent surface to attach some rock rails and hopefully a exo cage in the near future but for now i have some 1/8 inch angle that would fit perfect but i was wanting to know what everyone else has used for this. Also i have heard your not suposed to weld on the frame :dunno: but i don't know. Just need a little inoput on what to use.

Cole

Okay, from the point where the unibody widens just after the tranny crossmember back, you can take 4x4x.250 HSS (square tube) and split the top off of it and it will slip perfectly over the unibody.

From where the tranny crossmember is and foreward, I would use 4x6x.250 angle... Buuuuuuut, you can make it stronger by welding a peice of plate on the inside of the unibody, and welding it to the angle.

And as far as how you're supposed to weld to the unibody... I can get you a guide somewhere...

And as far as how you're supposed to weld to the unibody... I can get you a guide somewhere...

So i should look to go 1/4 inch for the steel and I would appreciate somekind of help on the subframe welding if you do have to do something special.

Cole

That is a great article thanks alot. That guy seems to really know what he is talking about. Just one question and it may be a stupid one but I am primarly a stick welder so do i have to use a mig or will a stick do the same thing. I know mig is easier in most cases but i learned on a stick and will soon have a stick. I can aquire access to a mig but then i have to travel to do the work. Thanks again for the great tech info.

Cole

OR

T&J has a bolt on stiffener for an XJ and I thought at one time they were going to make it for the MJ too http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-chassiskit.htm

The stage II would be better for rocks

http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-stage2chassiskit.htm

well maybe it will help you with some ideas...

The Unibody Weld Bible kick @$$ DirtyC thank for the link jamminz.gif

OR

T&J has a bolt on stiffener for an XJ and I thought at one time they were going to make it for the MJ too http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-chassiskit.htm

The stage II would be better for rocks

http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-stage2chassiskit.htm

well maybe it will help you with some ideas...

The Unibody Weld Bible kick @$$ DirtyC thank for the link jamminz.gif

I called and talked to them awhile back at T and J and they told me the XJ stiffener won't work on an MJ and that the MJ had a stronger unibody structure and didn't need it. 8)