Hard wiring a cb?

In the past i've wired my cb's up 2 different ways - both with major engine interferance: hard wired to the battery with an inline fuse and switch (probably not the smartest), and via the cigarette lighter. I ended up wiring in a 'filter' from radio shack when it was powered via the cigarette lighter and still had pretty bad interferance. If it makes a difference, both these instances were in an XJ, not the MJ, where my CB is now. The antenna used was a short (probably foot and a half) magnetic mounted on top of the roof, towards the rear-passenger side).

What's the best way to do it? What have you guys done to combat engine noise over your cb? I want to be able to use it while the truck is completly off, just like every other accesory i've got so far (i think it's convient :brows: ) 8)

Oh and I need an antenna too, any recommendations? It'd be nice to NOT be a magnetic mount and instead mount to the side of the bed or something similar...

Let's see those CB set ups!

Here's mine mounted so far:

PICT9032r.jpg

:popcorn:

Make sure you don't take power off of any accessories. I take mine straight from the battery (with a fuse of course). And route the antenna signal cable as far from any power wires as possible. I had some noise issues back when I installed amps for the radio and I cured most of the isses by making sure the dash was firmly grounded.

My CB

My antenna:

I've lost 2 fiberglass ones so far. One that was mounted on the side of the bed (lost to a tree), and then I mounted one in the middle of the bed, directly behind the cab where I thought it'd be safe (lost to a different tree). But Now I have a cheapie whip antenna mounted on a spring. Takes a beating but it's still there. :D Plus, now I can do this:

By the way, incase you're wondering why a thin metal whip looks oddly thick, I sleeved it with vacuum line. :D It's just for looks though, I take it off on the trails. Otherwise the rubber line grabs the trees, while the steel will just deflect.

JUST FOR LOOKS?! Pete.. come on.... :roll: Stickers are just for looks :cheers: Speaking of looks, what's your CB mounted to? Some sort of shelf?

Yea I run every accessory on their own power line, which is cluttering my engine compartment quickly. Some day i'd like to build some sort of power distribution center mounted on the fire wall or something where I can 'plug' in accessorier easily. Way easier than trying to squish em all on my battery terminal.... :nuts:

The long ones get better reception but it seems like a bietch driving around town unless you rig it down like you've done, which I think kinda looks goofy...Maybe it's an aquired taste? How much/where did ya get it? having a spring sounds like a good idea.

Purely for looks. Makes me think of the cool antennas they have on Humvees and other military trucks. :D Too bad it's such a problem in the trees. Otherwise I'd just glue it on and call it done.

I got my stuff from a local electronics store. I think the antenna was $7 and the spring $6 or something like that. Don't remember how much the cable was.

It took me a while to find one that showed it, but I ringed the bed with some galvanized C-channel (Uni-strut specifically) and I simply bolted the antenna to it. Any store that sells the big whips should also have brackets. Get a steel one if at all possible and make sure the antenna and it's cable stay TOTALLY ISOLATED from anything grounded.

Maybe I'm lucky. I have a radio shack CB, the small one. I just plugged in the red wire to an open spot in the fuse box. It also had an inline fuse. The ground wire went to a scew under the dashboard. I used one of the walmart magnetic antennas hot glued in the center of the fiberglass area in front of the windshield.

No engine noise. Never lost the antenna because its only 3 feet long. Range seems OK. Pretty cheap too. $20 for CB, $8 for antenna. Oh yeah, the CB was velcroed on top of the dash. Currently its velcroed in my Samurai.

Its always best and usually recommended to wire directly to battery. (With fuse) Its draws VERY little and usually will not cause any problems even if left on overnight. Usually this will eliminate any engine noise, but if necessary you could use a choke. (Filter)

I have mine on all day of a wheeling trip. Thats with the Jeep started and turned off numerous times. Its never been an issue.

Be careful when running the cable for the antenna, try not to coil it up run the length you need only. be sure the shielding dosen't contact the center conductor and that the center conductor is COMPLETELY SHIELDED form the body!!! The base should be well grounded and most work best if mounted on a flat metal surface as this is the negative side and helps greatly with reception. Its called the ground plane. You could use a marine antenna, these do not have.need a ground plane as many boats are fiberglass and it dosen't work as a ground plane.

Lastly set your SWR for either the center channel20 or so or if really bad the channel you will primarily use and know the farther from 20 you get the worse the SWR will be limiting your range.

As for the actual antenna...the 102" whip is best but the shorter loaded sitcks are more practal. I have actually seen rigs not allowed on trail because of the 102" whips. they can be dangerous to bystanders on the trail. If you do use one, keep it tied as Pete shows ehile on the trail.

Good luck,

CW

ive got mine on the dash run to the radio fuse in the fuse box, little to no interference from the engine... and grounded to a random screw under my floormat. cable run through another random hole in the floor that happens through the frame? and along the frame with zipties to the back bumper (102" whip antenna) fabbed up a brace that is bolted in with the tailgate latch that keeps it from hitting the truck, and or flopping too much.

great range, hardly any noise, fairly inexpensive radio shack one.

ill snap some photos tomarrow.

JUST FOR LOOKS?! Pete.. come on.... :roll: Stickers are just for looks :cheers: Speaking of looks, what's your CB mounted to? Some sort of shelf?

Yea I run every accessory on their own power line, which is cluttering my engine compartment quickly. Some day i'd like to build some sort of power distribution center mounted on the fire wall or something where I can 'plug' in accessorier easily. Way easier than trying to squish em all on my battery terminal.... :nuts:

The long ones get better reception but it seems like a bietch driving around town unless you rig it down like you've done, which I think kinda looks goofy...Maybe it's an aquired taste? How much/where did ya get it? having a spring sounds like a good idea.

I've got a HO PDC to graft into mine.

I can run all the fusible links on the maxi fuses.

THen I'll have a nice place for all the relays, and there's spots for a few mor for a light harness,

th best part, it bolts right in. I just have to hoow up the relay sockets and the maxi fuses.