dana 30 truss, and raised CA mounts

So I bent the front axle on my 87 MJ this past weekend

I've got an empty housing here that I will be trussing...but I was thinking of how I want to do it.

I figure that if I'm going to truss it, other things can be improved as well....i.e. CA mount locations and shock mounts on the axle

was thinking of using some tube that has an OD matches the ID of the upper CA bushings as the backbone of the truss...bending it to contour down on the axle to clearance for the oil pan. the tube would go thorugh both factory UCA mounts, and bend down towards the center then level out across the center tube. they would poke through the UCA mount towards the outsides, where I would plate them off and use flat 3/8" steel stood vertical to truss down the the coil spring buckets.

I had collars made for factory UCA bushings quite some time ago, which I would pretty much mount directly on top of the factory UCA mounts, and they would be tied into the truss (this is why I want the tube there...welding to cast isn't fun).

the "backbone" of the truss would have plates going down in front of and behind it to weld it to the axle tube, with holes put in and flanged to add strength and allow for dirt/mud/h20 to drain out of the truss itself.

the UCA mounts would be raised accordingly to keep the angles proper for the CA's to function...basically they would be behind the axle. To do that, I would have to cut off the rear of the coil mounts, and also the shock mounts. doing this would gain ground clearance.

the shock mounts would then be welded on in a bar pin eliminator styling with the eye of the bushing facing forward/reverse to allow for better flex. I also will need to angle the shocks outward so they don't catch on the frame rail at full flex. to do that I would have to move the upper shock mounts outward on the body by about 1". I'd have to plate that area of the fender well to add structure.

this would raise my CA's to the angle of a 4.5" lift with adjustable short arms. my control arms are RC 4.5"-6.5" adjustables so I can achieve this pretty easily.

Basically this would add strength to the axle, keep me at the same lift height, improve ground clearance, improve the function of my shocks, and improve the angles of the control arms.

end result: smoother ride on the road, and more flex off the road.

Does anyone have any opinions? I'll try to sketch it out in microsoft paint for you.

BTW none of this will cost any money...every part I would need including scrap steel and new UCA bushings are things I've had laying around for awhile.

BTW none of this will cost any money...every part I would need including scrap steel and new UCA bushings are things I've had laying around for awhile.

I know why you posted this line, but it is really nobodys business but yours. You should not have to justify doing something to your truck even if it does cost you something. Shtuff happens, then you die...get over it. You are a tremendous resource on this forum because of your experience, and I would hate to see something happen that would make you not want to return. I hope everything gets resolved peacfully and without incident for all of our sakes. It would be a great loss for all of us to lose you.

Sorry if I hijacked! :cheers:

I know why you posted this line, but it is really nobodys business but yours. You should not have to justify doing something to your truck even if it does cost you something. Shtuff happens, then you die...get over it. You are a tremendous resource on this forum because of your experience, and I would hate to see something happen that would make you not want to return. I hope everything gets resolved peacfully and without incident for all of our sakes. It would be a great loss for all of us to lose you.

Sorry if I hijacked! :cheers:

officially hijacked. It's no one's fault but my own, so I'm not hiding facts. I could care less if everyone on the board hates me and/or has personal issues with me. I'm more or less sick of being a parts hoarder.

I got home from work early, went through my storage and looked at any parts I have that are not exceptionally hard to come by (non-MJ specific) and I won't be using anytime in the near future, grabbed them, and threw them in the trash. anything I don't need goes to the dump on monday. shipping and non local sales of items are not something I'm willing to do any longer, because I've proven that I don't have time or patience to do so. so, the crap is gone, and the stuff that I need is staying.

anyways, back on topic....

edit: thank you, BTW