mj questions

ok so i just bought a 1986 jeep Comanche but the seller says it needs a new throttle body to run. it will run if you pout gas in the engine but not if you try to start it without pouring gas in. also will a I4 with a stick pull my 1,000 pound trailer up steep grades? any help would be great. :D

Are you asking questions about a '86 with a 2.5 engine ( l4 )??

If you are, you might need a new fuel injector, not the complete throttle body. Although a JY TB might be cheaper that the fuel injector :hmm:

Pulling a 1000# trailer with a 2.5, No Way. There only enough power to move the truck it's self. The 1 and only 2.5 I had, most of the time I didn't even use 5th gear on the flat highway. Up a steep grade, was 2nd gear and maybe 30 MPH, with an empty truck :ack:

ok so i just bought a 1986 jeep Comanche but the seller says it needs a new throttle body to run. it will run if you pout gas in the engine but not if you try to start it without pouring gas in. also will a I4 with a stick pull my 1,000 pound trailer up steep grades? any help would be great. :D

You live in Reno? Me too. If the steep grade your talking about is Mt. Rose or 267, my 4.0 inline 6 will barely pull itself up either of those passes unloaded; put my 300lb dirtbike in the back and its really pissed. But then again I have the 3:08 gearing; not very ideal for that. Just my two cents.

James

5spd stick or 4spd stick? As James alluded to, the gearing in the axle might be the determining factor here.

Occassionally. That's my experience with a 2.5L, 5 speed and towing with the standard ratio, not the trailer package with the lower numerical ratio. Towing 2000 lbs± is okay until you hit a hill, any hill, then you will be dropping gears. Not just fifth but often down to 2nd don't remember any use of first. Long highway grades will probably need third. Lots of clutch slipping yet I'm at 187000 with the same clutch. Like I said occasional towing. 1000 lb max might not be too bad but be prepared for a parade of people behind you.