Callin Pete M -- Spring Question

Pete, I believe you've done more than just about anyone in regard to "home brewed" rear springs. A friend of mine has just rejoined the ranks of Comanche owners. The truck he just bought has standard rear springs, and the second leaf on one of them is broken. He plans to use the truck as a truck, so we're looking for ways to beef up the factory springs to about the equivalent of the Metric Ton springs -- on a budget. I'n not sure if he's looking for some lift, or wants to keep it at stock height.

I gave him a pair of springs I have that also have one broken second leaf, so between the two we'll be able to rebuild one pair of stock springs. Then we're debating using either cut-off XJ main leaves as add-a-leaves (that's my suggestion, because I think it'll increase the capacity without adding much lift) or the cut-off main leaves from the extra pair of springs I gave him -- which will generate some lift, but we don't know how much.

Could you post a capsule summary of the various permutations and combinations you have tried -- and the results vis-a-vis lift? Or, if you have already done so, does anyone have a link to the write-up?

Thanks

Eagle/Pete, lately I've been wondering something after seeing Hellcreek's 3+2 MT packs, and maybe it would apply to Eagle's question. Why not just add another overload spring from MJ packs to emulate the factory 3+2's? That being said, since it is essentially a flat spring, I would think you could use the overload from just about anything that was the same width? What do you all think? :dunno:

It's really hard to say what any particular combination will do and that's why I don't have a chart. Each individual leaf out there could do something completely different. I built my new packs in the 88 the exact same way I did before (2wd leafs with an extra MJ main) and the fact that they are "fresher" packs gave me almost 2 inches of lift. :shake: If I was a betting man, I'd go with the XJ main first and see what it does. I've got an Explorer main added to my 90 and it's right at stock height (Explorers have a bit less arch than 2wd MJ packs).

Wahoo, try it out and let us know what you find. :thumbsup: I'd prefer to use an overload with more arch. If memory serves me right, by the time the leafs are down to the factory overload, the axle is uncomfortably close to bottoming out.

Pete, I've got some factory MT packs that I found under there now, so we'll have to wait and see if anybody else gives it a try. I was thinking since the overload leaf essentially has no arch, the only lift effect would be the thickness of the spring, but load capacity would be increased substantially. :dunno:

the only lift effect would be the thickness of the spring,

Which is negated if keeping everything SUA. :thumbsup:

I have a small reservation that the now stiffer overload might cause the longest leafs to bend down at their ends. Can't say for sure if that'll happen though. It was the bggest reason I first decided to add in that second main leaf, my tired mains were actually flexing up towards the middle and curving down at the ends.

It's really hard to say what any particular combination will do and that's why I don't have a chart. Each individual leaf out there could do something completely different. I built my new packs in the 88 the exact same way I did before (2wd leafs with an extra MJ main) and the fact that they are "fresher" packs gave me almost 2 inches of lift. :shake: If I was a betting man, I'd go with the XJ main first and see what it does. I've got an Explorer main added to my 90 and it's right at stock height (Explorers have a bit less arch than 2wd MJ packs).

This is basically the info I was looking for. So using extra (cut-off) MJ main leaves as AALs gives about 2" of lift -- that's about what I expected, since doing the same with an XJ yields about 1-1/2". If the Exploder mains don't generate lift, I would expect that using XJ mains in an MJ pack would behave about the same.

Thanks