Still cannot find paint code...

I searched on here, then went to the truck to find the identifying code...no luck.

Where do I need to look, and what are the possible number/letter combos for an 88 Pioneer?

I found this:

On early era XJ's (84-90), the paint code is on the little plate riveted to the drivers side corner of the engine bay. The paint code is above the VIN. The VIN is on the bottom of the plate, so look for the code printed above the VIN in the middle.

Classic Black FX6/P1

Light Quartz HA2

Silver Metallic HA4/BH

Spinnaker Blue Metallic Clearcoat HB3/CH

Bright Red HE3/DP

Colorado Red Clearcoat HE4/BE

Dark Vivid Red Metallic Clearcoat HE8/CK

Malibu Yellow HJ4/DD

Khaki Metallic HJ5/BL

Pacific Blue HQ3/DE

Spinnaker Blue Metallic HQ6/BJ

Dark Baltic Blue Metallic Clearcoat HQ9/CE

Dover Gray Metallic Clearcoat HS3/CC

Pearl White HWA/CA

Pearl White Clearcoat HWB/CA

Classic Black HX5/P1

Sand Metallic Clearcoat HY3/DL

Sand HY5/DV

Is there any identifying mark that notes that shows which number/letter combo on the plate is the code, or should I just look until I see one of the codes (above) somewhere on the plate?

Firewall Plate:

Radiator Shroud:

Other tag on the firewall:

Ah, good news...when I guess at what my code MIGHT be and googled it, I saw this post (which I had somehow missed before):

Two questions:

1. Do you still have your Body Code Plate attached to the drivers side firewall in the engine compartment? and

2. Is this the original color of your MJ?

If so, the #5 - #8 digits (reading left to right) on the 2nd line of the plate is the primary paint code.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

X X X X X X X

I can try it by VIN if you want. Just send me the last 9 digits of the VIN and I will see what info is available.

Last 9: 9JT127088

Thanks!

That shows to be paint code ' PYC ', known as Beige Gold. :cheers:

I can try it by VIN if you want. Just send me the last 9 digits of the VIN and I will see what info is available.

Thanks!

uhh, beige gold looks more like maroon? :hmm:

Your truck shows to have 1 open recall, for an O2 sensor, recall number 561, it also says its an unsold vehicle, but give the original owner full name, adress, and telephone number, all from a dealer in Martinsburg, WV, Millers Chrysler Jeep. There is a second paint code... QYC, but not sure of its description.

Your truck shows to have 1 open recall, for an O2 sensor, recall number 561, it also says its an unsold vehicle, but give the original owner full name, adress, and telephone number, all from a dealer in Martinsburg, WV, Millers Chrysler Jeep. There is a second paint code... QYC, but not sure of its description.

Is the original owner info the dealership, or a customer?

The original owner should be my grandfather- Ronald Bowers.

Thanks!

Well, that sure is not right. I remember the day he brought it home, and it was definately maroon!

Thanks!

Well, that sure is not right. I remember the day he brought it home, and it was definately maroon!

Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot getting correct VIN info on anything older than 1990 any more. Mine was actually right, but I have seen this type of discrepency many times. Sorry I didn't do you any good. :oops:

Is the plate/sticker not on the left side of the firewall any more?

Ronald Bowers is not the name shown to be the original owner. I'm really not allowed to give out the original owner info. Many of the codes AMC had were recycled and changed by Chrysler, so if the code was changed, the new Chrysler system only reads the code as if it was newer chrysler, Not AMC. Go to an older established body shop. They should have all of the old paint chip books and be able to identify the color for you. I think that may be your best bet. Let us know what you find out.

Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot getting correct VIN info on anything older than 1990 any more. Mine was actually right, but I have seen this type of discrepency many times. Sorry I didn't do you any good. :oops:

Is the plate/sticker not on the left side of the firewall any more?

Left as in Driver's side, or left as you face the firewall?

(Either way, I appreciate the efforts!)

Ronald Bowers is not the name shown to be the original owner. I'm really not allowed to give out the original owner info. Many of the codes AMC had were recycled and changed by Chrysler, so if the code was changed, the new Chrysler system only reads the code as if it was newer chrysler, Not AMC. Go to an older established body shop. They should have all of the old paint chip books and be able to identify the color for you. I think that may be your best bet. Let us know what you find out.

No problem- thank you for the help.

If the code lists "Miller" as the sellign dealership, that is interesting, as the dealership is NOW Miller Chrysler Jeep, but it was Vic's Jeep, back in 1988. I still have the commemorative plate (some anniversary for the dealership) that came on the front of the truck.

The info should be on the driver side of the firewall, or on the door sticker if there is any chance that it is still there and legible. I have run in to the recycled paint codes many times now...even one on a 2001 Wrangler about 10 months ago :shake: .

• 2 weeks later...

So I double checked the driver's door and the sticker is there and the "form" lettering is there, but none of the vehicle-specific information is legible.

On the firewall, there is a small plate (about the size of a business card) that is riveted to the firewall, but nothing on it looks like a paint code. THere is also a plate on the radiator, but nothing there matches up with the codes on the first page, either.

your paint code is on the business card size plate riveted to the firewall. i'll check mine tonight and report back. as i said before, i am pretty sure you're paint is the same as mine. can you post a pic of said VIN plate?

Edited the first post to include pictures of the VIN plate on the firewall, the plate on the radiator shroud, and the label on the firewall.

In this picture, the bottom left corner has two letters that are kind of sctratched over. It appears that they are BD, in which case would be your paint code and described as "Grenadine Metalic". A little Google searching found it HERE

:cheers:

In this picture, the bottom left corner has two letters that are kind of sctratched over. It appears that they are BD, in which case would be your paint code and described as "Grenadine Metalic". A little Google searching found it HERE

:cheers:

sorry been putting the kids to bed. a little wound after getting back from vacation. anyhoo, Taz is co-rrect, BD and Grenadine Metallic, same as mine. :thumbsup:

:cheers: is right!

Thanks to all for the help. I was looking for the 3-digit code, not that 2-digit code.

Now I just need to get some paint, and some time, and...

• 14 years later...

I have the same color as you. It's Cabeirnet  metallic.  A maroon metallic flake with a clear coat. 88 was a cutoff year from the AMC to Chrysler corp codes as far as I've found. I included my firewall plate for reference. It's the middle code on the bottom line all by itself 

Mine is BD

Screenshot_20240310-140934.png

IMG_20240310_140256200.jpg