control arm questions??

if i make new control arms longer than stock will they still hit the axle plate for the shock mount?? :help:

If you think about that for a moment, you will realize longer CA's will actually GAIN you clearance at this point, not reduce it. Think on this, it doesn't/didn't contact stock, right? If you imagine you had a way shorter arm (Say 8" long) and maintained the same caster, the shock mount would bisect the lower control arm, right? So conversely, keeping caster the same and lengthening that same arm, to say 30") you would have gobs of clearance. Attaining and maintaining proper caster as well as the amount of lift is the key. Remember, your wheel moves in an arch, not straight up and down as it appears. One caviot, lifts past 5" or so will be effected as your describing. BUT the factory short arm setup is also no longer effective at this point either. A long arm set up is required.

Some manufactures produce CA's with a arch to allow for more clearance in this area. But its really not necessary. It just gives the customer what he/she thinks they need. If it makes you feel better, trim yous a bit, but be careful some strength and integrity of that mount will be lost doing so.

CW

yeah i don't antidisestablishmentarianism would happen if i did longer arms woudnt it still hit the plate. But if i do sum drop brackets for the arms then they would be lower. See the problem i ran in to is i did a sway bar drop with 3in blocks and there not enough lift cause it push the sway bar in to the coil spring. but i was thinking about cutting the sway bar down and rewelding it but if i did A bigger lift then i mite need the full length sway bar so I'm going to wait untill i finish the lift the rest of the way it only has a 5in lift now but I'm going to use 2in spacers to help bring thsoe bars away from the springs.

As for your sway bar... you'll need longer sway-bar links. Don't cut up the bar.

I agree, proper length links are REQUIRED for the sway-bar to work properly!!! If the bar is too high or too low it will not properly do its job. Buy or make longer/adjustable end links!!!

If you at 5" of lift, with factory CA's your axle is back too far in the wheel opening. Your bump-stop that's inside the coil is no longer centered. Not to mention if your still running a factory steering setup. All of these things are further hampering your problem.

CW

well i drive it on the road sum but i shoudnt need longer sway bar links cuz i droped the hole bar down correct?

It'll be okay as long as the swaybar end links are mostly vertical, and the arms on the swaybar (where it is bent back to the hole for the end link to attach to) are mostly vertical. A swaybar is an incredibly low-tech device. If the bushings are all shot, you might replace them. It'll work more 'as intended'.

Short answer, if you dropped the bar equal (or close to) lift height it'll be okay.