rusty's xj skids

You didn't ask,

but I've had really good luck with this (framerail to framerail) skid:

tms-1334-231.jpg

http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=119

If you're still running the factory X-member, it works pretty well to protect the T-case.

I liked this skid so much in my XJ, that I had a friend copy it in 1/4" (original is 3/16"), and I used the 2nd one in front of the X-member to protect the auto tranny (cutout for the cat is placed very well for ft driveshaft clearance when the skid is reversed).

I can't think of a single other Tomken product I would recomend,

but I really did like this setup over pretty much all the other 'engine/tranny' skids, that were more complicated, with brackets coming down from the floor, etc.

Full width coverage at less than $90 each is a pretty good deal too.

(FWIW, I trimmed down those goofy little spacer's they weld on there, to get the whole thing to sit closer to the 'frame')

You didn't ask,

but I've had really good luck with this (framerail to framerail) skid:

tms-1334-231.jpg

Not the best pic ever, but to give you some idea what I'm talking about:

Tomken skid on right, copy in 1/4" on left.

Everything still hangs down as far as the factory X-member (= you could build a flatter setup if you ditched the factory X-member),

but if you're not planning a flat belly, it's not a bad setup to protect the tranny & t-case.

those don't look to be too bad for the price. i like the design of the rusty's engine /tranny skid better though as it offers more protection to the tranny pan. i generally wouldn't buy anything from rusty's but a somewhat local guy has these skids for sale NIB for a good price and trying to work a deal with him

• 2 weeks later...

for future reference the engine/tranny skid fits good on a mj. however the t-case skid doesn't fit too good at all. i haven't tried to install it yet but by just holding it up there the plate that bolts on the side of the frame is at the wrong angle for a mj. i'll try to get some pics tonight or tomorrow when i attempt to install it.