Parking/Tail light issues

Its been awhile since Ive been on the forum, mostly because my jeep has been sitting for months. Now that I started driving it again, new problems pop up :fs1: I noticed I have no parking lights or taillights. The headlights are fine, and the brake lights are fine, as well as blinkers.Also, the dash lights are out. Is it possibly a ground issue? I have very little time to work on it this week, so any help diagnosing it is very appreciated!

If it's not the fuse, could be the light switch itself

if it's the light switch, wouldn't the headlights NOT work? i've been having the same problem and also haven't had time to diagnose yet. and then every once in awhile it will stop popping fuses.

if it's the light switch, wouldn't the headlights NOT work? i've been having the same problem and also haven't had time to diagnose yet. and then every once in awhile it will stop popping fuses.

Not necessarily, there are a separate sets of contacts in switch for the tail light circuit.

Same problem over here, it drives me crazy! :headpop: I think I am just going to replace the sockets and grounds, I am not much of an electrician otherwise I would just rewire the lights. Any experiences with this?

You could check the ground under the dash. :???:

You could also have a light not right alignment in the socket.

I was aware of the ground in the left rear tail light but not under the dash. Where is it under there? :dunno:

• 2 months later...

Did anyone ever figure out the solution for this problem? When I bought my Comanche, no lights worked on the back. I took out the fuses and sprayed contact cleaner in the box and got the hazard and brake lights to work. But no blinkers or running lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The one behind the drivers side taillight or behind the switch itself? I'm a n00b. I tried to take the switch out last night and couldn't figure it out. I got the trim off and started taking out the gauge cluster, felt like something was going to break if i pulled any harder, but it wasn't far enough out to unhook anything. Is the ground below the dash?

as for the tail light issue, check the ground and also check the last connector under the bed on the drivers side and make sure it is getting good contact through it.

to take out the light switch you have to pull it out as far as it can go (headlights on) then look underneath there should be a hole when you look up from under the dash. use something to put inside that hole there is a button, after you depress that button you should be able to pull the knob straight out. then you need a large flathead screw driver and you remove the nut like thing behind the knob. then the switch assembly should be able to be removed through the back of the dash.

the ground for the headlight switch goes up into the same harness as all the other wires off the switch and if I remember correctly it goes back to around the fuse box and maybe grounds to the chassis there but I cannot recall for sure.

I am still trying to diagnose my rear parking lights not working, pretty sure it is the connector under the bed but my truck is not with me so I cannot be sure.

Hope this information can help someone out.

Jonathan

My Ground wire is not with the rest of the wires. It is a single wire connecting to the rear of the switch , there is a single male terminal on the rear that it is conected to .

My Ground wire is not with the rest of the wires. It is a single wire connecting to the rear of the switch , there is a single male terminal on the rear that it is conected to .

I meant that that wire goes back into the harness with all the other wires. so the ground goes from the back of the switch and stands alone for about 4-5 inches and then meets up with the other wires.

at least thats the way it is on mine.

Cleaned the ground and nothing. Also I forgot to mention my hazards don't work on the front, only the rear. And when they are on, only the right side turn signal blinks on the inside. Anyone else had this problem?