Torque specifications for hub

Can anyone advise the correct torque for the sub axle nuy on the front (non 4WD) hub?

Since the hub replacement I am now getting a "roaring" sound from the front. I cannot locate it's origion, but it only occurs in first gear at accelleration. I'm hoping I over-torqued the hub nuts (and it's not the AW4).

Thanks in advance.

Ok - I found it in the 94FSM....they are to be torqued at 175 ft/lbs.

That's too bad 'cause 175 is really, really tight (think: bull's a$$ at fly time), so the noise must be coming from somewhere else.

Anyone rebuilt a AW4 in here? :roll:

Don - yeah it's a 2WD MJ, and it has the little (what I would consider useless) stub shaft that installs in the center of it. The Timkin bearing brand was 119.29 each, and is usually the brand I will use (had bad bearing experience before).

I replaced the hubs because I was getting a soft grinding noise from them when I'd turn the wheels while it was up on jack stands. At that time I checked the calipers and found the shoes to be OK but needing replacement soon, so in the process of elimination I removed them and the caliper...and the grinding was still present.

I cannot reporduce the sound when I put the stands back under the front and spin the wheels....and it only seems tro occur in 1st gear with the jeep on the ground (i.e has weight on it). I'm gonna suspend the whole thing on stands and run it. Hopefully that'll tell me if it's in the drive train or not .

Of course, any advice is gladly accepted :D

Are you sure you got the hubs for the right year? They did change them at some point.

Well, Its funny you'd ask that, 'cause I posted a thread here asking about that and no one except Don answerd.

There is some confusion about the hub pat numbers, but after research I did get the right ones.

Don - yeah it's a 2WD MJ, and it has the little (what I would consider useless) stub shaft that installs in the center of it. The Timkin bearing brand was 119.29 each, and is usually the brand I will use (had bad bearing experience before).

Guess you mean the steering knuckle, si?

Image Not Found

Guess you mean the steering knuckle, si?

Image Not Found

Si Senor! The small stub axle you see in the center of the picture actually comes out of there with the hub on mine.