major coolant problem

So, today driving to work after about 3 miles??? my temprature light glowed bright. Maybe not the best idea, but I turned around and beat it for home. Smoke coming from under the hood I made it home. Long story short... previously I had an antifreese leak. The top hose had a squirt comming out. I replaced top & bottom hoses, both main heater hoses. Then all the hoses got hot, except the bottom radiator hose. So, I replaced the thermostat. Same deal, ran a hose thrugh the radiator, it flowed good. Still same deal. Sent it to the garage. They said the heater regulator valve was ok, the water pump was ok, the heater core was ??? but water flowed right thrugh it. They ended up replacing the radiator...yea, I could have done that! So, truck runs excellent for a couple of weeks, awesome heat (it sucked before). Last few days there was no heat... we come back to today's adventure. After work I look at it, there is antifreeze stains on the hood & in the engine bay. I open the radiator, it looks empty (yea, I cooked it driving home) however, when I poured water into the new radiator, it was majorly peeing on the ground somewhere near the block. Maybe a freeze plug??? But still, even after the "mechanic" "fixed" it, the lower hose was always cool....still a coolant block???? :huh???:

Here's kinda where it was peeing

Just guessing , could be a water pump , mine seem to self destruct about every 18-24 mo.s and your pics look like the same area as I've seen way too often . ( does the leak appear to be running down or off the lower hose ? ) A quick pressure test of the cooling system should let you pin-point the leak . :wavey:

couple things to check......waterpump seal, the forward welch plug in the block under the manifolds, and the intake manifold itself.....2.5's route the coolant thru the manifold (for some strange reason).

My bet would be on the plug in the block being rotted out.

Jeff

Yes, it is the 2.5 four cylinder, that info might help. No, that isn,t the bottom hose, that's the hose from the air filer to the exaust manifold to warm up the air. :cheers: I got it at an auto parts store.

the forward welch plug

Is that the proper name of freeze plug? It looks like that may very well be the problem. The coolant seems to be pooled up & leaking pretty much just below the intake/exaust manifold. Looks like it will be a real fun ride removing all that stuff to get to the plug :headpop:

the forward welch plug

Is that the proper name of freeze plug? It looks like that may very well be the problem. The coolant seems to be pooled up & leaking pretty much just below the intake/exaust manifold. Looks like it will be a real fun ride removing all that stuff to get to the plug :headpop:

It may not be as hard as you imagine :shake: , from the underside with good lighting , just drive a sturdy screwdriver thru the plug and pry it out . Clean out the opening and tap in the new plug using a socket about the same diameter, to keep the plug square with the block .( take it slow , you'll be fine ) :thumbsup:

If it is the front freeze plug (welch plug) then you may not have to remove the intake. There is a good write-up here with lots of pics:

gojeep.willyshotrod.com.com the site was down when i tried to post the direct link

• 2 weeks later...

I did get to that link, it has an awesome writeup on replacing the plug(s). The only thing is, he already has the intake/exaust manifold off & it's a six cyl. I can clearly see that the front plug on my 4 cyl. must have nuked...it's gone. I'm starting to remove the manifold, but I'm going blind, just un hooking & unbolting what looks like holds it to the block. Taking a lot of notes & pics to help re-assemble. Maybe make a good DIY write up. :typing: I'll be posting to see if anyone has good info on the removal.