YJ dual steering stabilizer

JOMJ87

I just have a design i wanted a few more eyes to look at because i think it is a great homemade dual stabilizer setup. This is something my friend on base came up with on his YJ. He has the trac bar removed since its got leaf springs and we didnt feel it needed it :brows: . He took the mount hole on the axle and attached one end of the stbilizer to it and then made a mount that bends around the drag link that when tightened down clamps hard enough to hold it in place. The clamp we feel really needs to be at least spot welded on so it has no chance to move. I just want to see how everyone on here thinks it will do? I know its not a MJ but i also know that alot of our members have some great off-road jeeps and MJs and would have a great perception as to how well this design is. Also it was free since we had an extra stabilizer. :cheers: Enough of the talk here are the pics.

here is what it looks like sitting

The green one on top is the homemade job just incase you didnt see it

Drag link end

Axle end

Cole

He says that it tightened up the steering and i rides alot better than before? And i have seen alot of offroad rigs that had a dual setup i just don't know the exact reason why but i do know you can buy alot of kits to do the same so it is popular and has a buisness.

Cole

His geaometry (if thats how you spell that) is prob off since it sits 7 inches over stock and has no drop pitman arm ar high steer I would think it would be off. The only reason i posted it was to see what everyone thought of the design. I don't know anything about a dual setup so I'm not even sure what its supose to do. If it does help bump steer that would be nice with my 35s that have slight bump steer but i need to figure out a high steer setup that is not to expensive. I thought of fabbing something but i have no experience with doing any streering mods like this. If anyone has any input on what its "suposed" to do. Or if it really helps.

Cole

A properly setup jeep doesn't need a stabilizer at all, and replacing them or adding additional stabilizers is generally a bandaid covering up other problems.

Properly balanced tires, and a good once over on the suspension would probrably tighten up that steering as well. I can't tell by the pic, but is he running mega long shackles? if he is.. that will cause the loose steering feel... it is called bad caster angle :brows:

Look at the way it is setup... first check for clearance on your Trac bar, then ream out your kunckes to accept 1ton TRE's, buy some tubing adapters, and some 3/8 wall DOM and make your own, you might get some bump steer with this... BUT who cares you wil have a basher freindly steering set-up :driving:

PingPong----That is flipped on top right i can't really see in the pic if you did or not?

Also to clarify on the YJ he does have a small shackle lift but has had 0 problems with it. He is a mechanic on base and has took it to the shop and checked all the alignment before this was done and it was very very close to being right on. He is running Thornbird bias ply tires and the walk alot on the road and don't ride smooth at all if you have ever drove something with these tires I'm sure you experienced that. After doing the dual setup it has seemed to help with the ride on the pavement. Now offroad i have learned this setup is used so your steering wheel don't jerk around so easily while on rocks. This means you want brake your wrist by hitting a rock with the outside edge of the tires as easily.IMO Sorry i didnt clarify with this amount of detail before but i just had a sit down with him to discuss everything and figure it all out so i could give you a better idea as to what is going on. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming i always am willing to learn as much as possible before i think of trying something.

Cole

Yes it is flipped over the knuckle... that is why I said check for Tracbar clearance issues.

I got to looking at your friends setup, and it seems to me, that as the steering would turn right it would cause "minor" binding, and the same when it turns left. I know it looks real similar to the way the xj/mj/zj/tj axle is setup, but their shock thingy is angled.

As far as the steering wheel jerking while on the trail... I barely hold onto the wheel, that way when it jerks or spins... it does it w.o my hands on it :brows: