bumpstops....hockey pucks

I'm bumpstopping the front of my jeep, using hockey pucks (as many have before me and many will continue to do).

picked up 19 hockey pucks to have spares and some for future projects...at 97 cents each it was worth it to clear Dick's sporting goods inventory.

anyways, I got the driver's side pucks in no problem. drilled them, countersunk the top one to put the bolt through so that the factory bumpstop will hit the pucks not the bolts.

BUT...I can't get into the passenger side to drill the hole in the coil bucket. I've tried everything short of removing all the parts to take the coil out...long bit from the bottom through the hole for the trackbar bolt nut, get a drill in through the top, torch...

nothing will fit anywhere without removing the coil...and I don't have time to pull the coil right now, because I'd have to chock the body up on stands and remove half of the parts holding it together, and I'm working on a steering box brace. I also need to put the front bumper back on after I finish the frame repair...uniframe rail cracked @ bumper mounts and was part of my suspension popping issue.

anyone ever do this? how did you drill the coil buckets?

Just un-do the bottom shock bolt and swaybar links and jack up the drivers side of the axle. Should give you enough play to pull the coil, drill, and put it back together in 30mins.

:cheers:

Just un-do the bottom shock bolt and swaybar links and jack up the drivers side of the axle. Should give you enough play to pull the coil, drill, and put it back together in 30mins.

did that. even did that with the body supported 3 feet higher than normal on a set of tractor split-stands, and the axle won't droop far enough even with the driver's side jacked up.

Wow. That's how I pull them in the JY all the time. Stock and lift coils. Sometimes I have to stand on the dropped side and pull up on the coil. I am assuming you had the tires off. Did your bumpstop bottom out on the drivers side? Only other thing I can think of besides the obvious is to pull the axle side bolt out of the LCA on the passenger side in case it was bottomed out on the axle mount preventing it from dropping any further.

Wow. That's how I pull them in the JY all the time. Stock and lift coils. Sometimes I have to stand on the dropped side and pull up on the coil. I am assuming you had the tires off. Did your bumpstop bottom out on the drivers side? Only other thing I can think of besides the obvious is to pull the axle side bolt out of the LCA on the passenger side in case it was bottomed out on the axle mount preventing it from dropping any further.

I think it's the 6.5" coils actually...