Got 'er home. What an adventure.

Automan2164

Finally got my axle donor home on sunday. A 4 hour roundtrip turned into a 9.5 hour funfest. I ended up borrowing a tandem axle flatbed car trailer from a co-worker, and a friend and his truck for the trip. After removing a race car and hooking up the trailer, pinning in the ramps, we were off. Raining at a good clip the whole time. Then about 30 minutes in, we were flagged down by someone informing us we had lost a ramp about a mile back. Ugh. don't ask me how a large steel ramp, under a lip, pinned and clipped in, falls off a trailer :dunno: . All went pretty well the rest of the way there. Drove the '96 XJ 2dr onto the trailer, and shored it up. Got back on the interstate. Drove a little while, and pulled over and checked all of the tires and straps. About an hour later, the truck started to rumble. Buddy's first thought was misfire, but one peer into the passenger mirror told me different. Massive Blowout on p/s rear the trailer. We pulled over, and scoped it out, and i told him to pull it ahead to get us on asphalt so we could get to jacking. No big deal thats what the trailer spare is for :thumbsup: . As soon as i got out again, the front tire on the trailer on the p/s (in what could only be considered a big FU :fs1: ) let loose all of its air as i watched the chuff of moisture explode out. After some head scratching, some redneck ingenuity, we ended up with the spare on the trailer to replace the blowout, the flat front tire on the rear of the XJ, and the rear XJ tire on the front of the trailer. Only took an hour and a half on the side of a 6 lane 65MPH highway in the pouring rain. Just had to loose the trailer fender, marker lights, and some excess items. My co-worker had a good laugh when i gave him back the trailer. I had more parts of the trailer in the truck than actually attached to it!

But, I have my new set of 4.10's sitting in the driveway :bowdown: , awaiting transplant... :banana: I am unsure of what i am going to do with the rest of the XJ at the moment, but its all mine... Had to custom make a windshield for the time being though... which reminds me, i should go to the store and get some more saran wrap... :D

Rob L.

It might. I still have to get into the garage. I need to kinda comb through it at the moment. I am trying to sell it as whole as possible, but might part it out locally. If it has the washers I will let you know.

Rob L.

i might have a use for a few parts, so think about a whole price. the trans and motor stay? are you just snagging the axles?

If you guys come to a deal, I'd be interested in getting at least the body.

what kind of shape are the doors/rockers/main body in? I don't care about floors.

I'm thinking extended cab comanche...

I was just going to take the axles and suspension components in the front, other than that, i think thats about it. Floors have some holes, but the outside is pretty good shape. I don't think the doors fenders and clip are original, they look to have been repainted. 4 cyl runs like a top, shifted pretty darn good just lot driving.I was kinda hoping to make a little money parting it out, but if i can wash my hands of it quick, that'd be cool with me. You guys interested in getting the whole thing minus axles?

Rob L.