soa perches?

It depends. I haven't tried it. So who knows.

Oh, and I drew* a FBD for the different spring perches, sorta... I stopped because I realized it was irrelevent. At least, given the factors I chose to alter.

As long as the perch is LONGER than the width of the axle tube plus whatever space you need for the u-bolts (essenitially, as long as the perch is as long as the top plate) there will be NO altering of the forces applied on the spring.

Also factor in, I left the overload spring in for my scribbles. In practice you should have it on a MJ, or anything with a positivly arched spring.

*scribbled. I'm lazy.

This is an interesting post, but I will give you my ral world testing I have done... I run home made perches out of 2x3x1/4 wall tubing and make them 7.5 to 8" long. As pointed out that is only a couple of inches longer then stock. The only reason why I do this is so I can have as much of the axle tube as possible to weld too. I only leave about 1/4 to 1/2 " an inch as far as height goes, so you need as much material on both sides of the axle to weld too.

Axle wrap is also a product of good traction, and lack of forward momentum... or just too much skinny pedal :brows:

So whats the final verdict???...

Does longer spring perches help to prevent axle wrap or creates more axle wrap???

From what I've been reading on here, they help prevent axle wrap... Just want to confirm...

Thanks,

Ryan

So whats the final verdict???...

Does longer spring perches help to prevent axle wrap or creates more axle wrap???

From what I've been reading on here, they help prevent axle wrap... Just want to confirm...

Thanks,

Ryan

Well, as best I could make it work with my limited ability with physics (been too damn long), I can make a summation that:

As long as the perches are at LEAST as long as the spring plate you will have less axle wrap then if they are shorter. This is as it does not allow the movement (stretch) of the ubolts to become a factor. If they are longer than that, they will only aid if you don't have an overload leaf, in that then the pack will wrap only as far as until it is flat on the perche.

Making them bloody small makes no sense. From a wrap point and a strength point.