01 TJ Motor in an 89 Comanche

Hey, I'm new to the forum as of yesterday, well thought I would join because I recently purchased an 89 MJ 2.5 2WD for $1000.00. I know that sounds crazy but hear me out, it came with a 4.0/AX-15 combo out of a 01 TJ already transplanted in as well as a dana 44 and the dana turdy for the front plus all the wiring harness, cross members and drive shafts and the gas tank. Here is my question: If i go buy an instrament cluster and steering column, jam them in the Comanche and hook up the harnesses will this work? Everything in me says it will but there are alot of people more knowledgable in this subject than I am. I have done a swap like this taking the motor out of a 96 XJ and putting it into an 89 XJ and the above method worked. Also anyone have the cluster and column for sale?? I have never used a forum before but i plan on trying to do a wright up. Anyway, any help i can get would be awesome

Hey all I'm new to the forum as of yesterday, well thought I would join because I recently purchased an 89 MJ 2.5 2WD for $1000.00. I know that sounds crazy but hear me out, it came with a 4.0/AX-15 combo out of a 01 TJ already transplanted in as well as a dana 44 and the dana turdy for the front plus all the wiring harness, cross members and drive shafts and the gas tank. Here is my question: If i go buy an instrament cluster and steering column, jam them in the Comanche and hook up the harnesses will this work? Everything in me says it will but there are alot of people more knowledgable in this subject than I am. I have done a swap like this taking the motor out of a 96 XJ and putting it into an 89 XJ and the above method worked. Also anyone have the cluster and column for sale?? I have never used a forum before but i plan on trying to do a wright up. Anyway, any help i can get would be awesome

Cool... can't offer much help, but in my crazy head fantasy world, I envision myself someday wanting to transplant the 4.0L engine and tranny from my 99 TJ into my MJ...but that would mean I was upgrading my TJ to a HEMI, so chances of me having an extra 15K to do that anytime soon is not great...

Would be interested in seeing pics for sure...

Wade

ever heard the saying "if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't?"

just kidding ;) but I think the PO got in over their head on the swap and didn't realize how much needed to be done to do it correctly. For that driveline combo to function correctly, you'll need to swap the entire engine and interior harnesses (and make some modifications for the rear sub-harness that powers the fuel pump and bed lighting), as well as a complete dash assembly swap and figure out some way to get a late model fuel pump to work with your tank or swap in a late model XJ tank/pump combo.

Don't fear, it's doable and there's great resources on this board to help you along the way if you decide to. Welcome to the club :cheers:

Where are ya from?

Jeff

Just got a price on the parts today and wow! you would think I'm getting the stuff for a Porche or something :eek: . The cluster and column are going to run me $425.00 someone tell me that there is a cheaper place to get this stuff? :help:

Found the parts today for $225.00 jamminz.gif not bad anyway looks as if I'm going to need to find the wiring diagram for the 01 wrangler, the mess of harness is more dificult to figure out than i first thought. As soon as i can figure out how to put pics on here i will post some of the beast.