My first MJ build. VA build up

Just picked up my 2nd Comanche. This one actually drives, runs (not well) and is already somewhat lifted. Its a 1986 and has a 4.0 with automatic and an 8.8 in the rear around 5" of lift and 33 BFGs. Well I have a TJ that was supposed to be getting a 5.7L swap and all the goodies. Well I like being different and I wanna have the first "built" MJ in Virginia Beach.

Here it is the day I bought it.

comanche.bmp.jpg

Since that picture, I've already installed a CB, my air compressor and my train horns all from my TJ. And got a loud @$$ exhaust to last till I start this.

My plans are as follows:

5.7L GM 350 TBI

700R4 Trans

NP205 Passenger drop

HP D44 front with OX locker

GM 10 or 14 bolt. Unless I find a D60. Detriot locker

Not sure on gears or tire size because I have to abide by the lift laws since it will be a DD once done.

25 Gallon fuel cell in the bed and herculiner the bed

I wanna do some coil overs up front, with a 4 link

Depending on money I may run coil overs in the rear and chop some fenders.

I really wanna run 39's, those are my final goal.

I have the driveline already and will be trying to sell my TJ soon to pay for this whole build.

Let me know what you guys think. I was a wrangler guy for 3 years and now I'm about the Sqaure head lights.

Not sure on gears or tire size because I have to abide by the lift laws since it will be a DD once done.

To help with this, re-register your rig at DMV as a truck vs. a passenger vehicle :nuts: .....that'll give you substantial increases on your bumper height limitations. Did the same thing on mine when I went SOA, cost me about $40 or so, but well worth it IMHO.

Also, in case you didn't know, VA does not have a fender flare regulation. That's not to say that your local 5-0 won't pull you just to be a PITA (especially since you're in the beach area). Stay right with the po-po, and they should stay right with you. I wave at every cruiser I pass every time I'm out in my MJ, for what that's worth :yes:

Jeff

Yeah I've never been hassled for my tires on my TJ and they stick out 4" but for some reason VA beach enforces that in their inspections. If the tire sticks out 4" past the fender its considered illegal. Don't know why but luckily by best friend works at an inspection station.

And you really thing a d44 front is too weak for a 38" tire? I really want a 14 bolt rear. I love OX lockers and wouldn't go with anything else but they only seem to make them for Dana axles now? When I ordered mine for the D30 they had some for the 10 or 14 bolt but when i just looked they didn't. So i don't know what I'll do cause I don't wanna pay $800 for a D60

the 14 bolt is so darn big people tend to leave it alone. you'll need a 38" tire to get the same clearance as a 35 or 36" tire. there's little aftermarket support for them as well. i know shops around me that throw them away.

its too bad, its strong as heck. i konw one guy that ground a 14 bolt down, and says he has the same clearance as a d60 w/ it.

the 14 bolt is so darn big people tend to leave it alone. you'll need a 38" tire to get the same clearance as a 35 or 36" tire. there's little aftermarket support for them as well. i know shops around me that throw them away.

its too bad, its strong as heck. i konw one guy that ground a 14 bolt down, and says he has the same clearance as a d60 w/ it.

Little aftermarket support? :hmm: You mean like the cheapest Detroit locker and tons of companies that make cheap disc brake conversions. :hmm:

The full floating 14 bolt is a great axle. Incredibly strong, plenty of aftermarket support for just about anything you want to do, and one of the cheaper axles to find and build. If you are going with big tires, don't hesitate to use a full floating 14 bolt.

And you really thing a d44 front is too weak for a 38" tire?

Yes, unless this is just a street queen that will never be wheeled. The D44 has the same weak link as the D30 - the axle shaft u-joints. These won't live long with 38" tires and even moderate wheeling. You could always go with alloy shafts and some fancy u-joints - like CTMs etc. But then you are just delaying the inevitable. If you spend that much time and money on it you may as well use something bigger that will last with big tires.

Willy

So what would be a good front axle other than a D60? They are so hard to find in my area. And the only ones I've found the people want like $800 for them each. I want an OX locker up front, I won't deal with ARBs, I've seen nothing but problems with them. But OX only makes thme for Danas.

It's hard to stay cheap when you get into tires that large. A D60 is really what you need unless you have the ability to put together a custom axle like a a Spider 9, but that won't be cheap either once you buy everything to put it together.

Ox lockers are nowhere near problem free. Everybody I know with an Ox has had cable problems.

Willy