Time for a new axle.

Hey all, just picked up a new toy on saturday (pics and background on it to come), but am looking for a new set of axles. I have the opportunity to get ahold of a '99 D30 out of a cherokee w/3.55 gears and 90k. Comes complete with everything rotor to rotor, control arms, stock springs and all the works. Asking $175. My question is, is this a good enough deal to jump on? :dunno: I kinda wanted to wait around for a better gear ratio, so i am kinda wanting to pull the trigger on this. Not sure if its worth it for what i have planned. I want to gear change/new CA's with a lift anyway so... Also in the market for a 29 spline 8.25... anyone? :brows: End project will have 33" tires. Drivetrain is 4.0l - 5 speed peugot :doh: .

Thanks,

Rob L.

I have thought about it. I just might. i stil don't have either front or rear axles at the moment, so I am open to most anything. I was just looking at it from a cost perspective. I'd think I could pick up a 8.25 for less than a 8.8. Dunno. Figured that for what i need it for, (snow plowing, mild offroading) a 8.25 would be all the strength i would need at an affordable price. I am just on the fence on this D30 I found. don't know if its worth investing the cash... I would like to change gears. Maybe I should just wait for the right ratio...

Rob L.

The right ratio? You might be looking for a while if you're waiting for a 99 Dana30 with 4.10s to drop into your lap. I'd jump on that and then look for a cheap Dana 35 or 8.25 with the 3.55 gears. It's better than the crappy 3.07s, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

The right ratio? You might be looking for a while if you're waiting for a 99 Dana30 with 4.10s to drop into your lap. I'd jump on that and then look for a cheap Dana 35 or 8.25 with the 3.55 gears. It's better than the crappy 3.07s, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

I don't think he was tooo set on a 99. I think he just wanted a later model one.

After all, 94ish - 99 are all pretty much the same, aren't they? Or did they change brakes at some point.?

The specific year wasn't all that important in my post. But yeah, any after 94-ish would have the bigger U-joints. :thumbsup:

Do all of the newer axles have bigger u-joints or just the ones with ABS? I thought it was just the ones with ABS that had bigger u-joints on the axle shafts (not the drive shaft).

All of the newer ones will have the bigger joints. The older ones with ABS that will also have the bigger joints. Take a tape measure and check before buying any axles orshafts. Don't take the guy's word for anything. If I remember right, the 260s have a bearing cap diameter of 1.06" and the 297s are 1.18".

All of the newer ones will have the bigger joints. The older ones with ABS that will also have the bigger joints. Take a tape measure and check before buying any axles orshafts. Don't take the guy's word for anything. If I remember right, the 260s have a bearing cap diameter of 1.06" and the 297s are 1.18".

thanks, and to think I've been busting my hump looking for an abs axle while car-part.com has plenty of the non abs ones

automan2164, I apologize for the minor detour I took your thread on

Mid '95 was the change over year. 297 joints elongate the hole in the axle and the axles are usually junk when a joint lets loose.

A 260 joint breaks the joint but the axle can be reused most of the time.

They use the same blank.

Why hasn't someone made a stong/super 260 joint.

If the joint was as strong as a 297 joint, the super 260 joint and stock axle shaft would be stronger then a 297 joint and stock axle shaft would be.