2-4 wd swap

have a chance to buy a rust free 90 comanche 6 cyl. auto, I know most parts I need to swap, but will a 231 bolt up to the tranny or is a different output shaft needed also will I need a 4wd crossmember

The crossmember is the same. It is possible to convert a 2wd tranny to a 4wd one if you have the rear housing and output shaft, but if you have all those parts you might as well just rebuild a 4wd one.

I would just find a complete 4wd tranny.

I believe JeepcoMJ meant extensive rework to the transmission. The gears part of a 2WD tranny is the same as that for a 4WD tranny, but the 2WD has a standard, tapered talishaft housing and a tailshaft that ends in a spline to mate with the drive shaft yoke. The 4WD tranny doesn't have a "tail" shaft -- it has an output shaft that's configured to mate up with a transfer case, and instead of a long tailshaft housing it has a shorter housing with a flange to which the transfer case bolts up. In theory you could remove the tailshaft and tailshaft housing from a 2WD tranny and replace with the parts from a 4WD tranny, but ... where are you going to get the parts, how much will they cost, do you know how to do the work, and is it worth the cost and effort when you could just go to a salvage yard and buy a tranny with a transfer case already bolted up to it and call it a day.

You canNOT just buy a transfer case and bolt it onto a 2WD transmission.

You can't just fit a T-case in. You have to have a 4wd transmission.

As for the front axle, that's pretty straight forward. Take the 2wd one off and bolt the 4wd one on. All suspension mounts, etc. are the same. You will probably have to keep the 4wd calipers, so bleeding the brakes will be needed.

As for the front axle, that's pretty straight forward. Take the 2wd one off and bolt the 4wd one on. All suspension mounts, etc. are the same. You will probably have to keep the 4wd calipers, so bleeding the brakes will be needed.

Keep in mind that Jeep changed calipers, rotors, hubs and knuckles a few times over the years. If you slap in a newer axle and try to use the older calipers, they'll lock up. You have to keep all those parts matched by "generation." I've posted the run-down several times.