4wd manual to 4wd auto crossmember and crossmember supports?

Did a quick test fit of the original crossmember and crossmember supports on my 88mj. From what I remember, the autos used the rear holes in the 'frame' and the manuals used the front. No problem there, until I held a crossmember support in place and noticed that the holes didn't line up. Is there a different support bracket for the autos? Do the sides swap and then it lines up? I tried that but it didn't seem to make a difference. Anybody run into anything similar when doing this same swap or vice versa?

X2

and the crossmember itself is assymetrical although it doesn't look it. It will bolt in on one side if installed backwards, but the other side won't *quite* line up (and you'll go nuts trying to figure out why......)

Jeff

I know your going from a BA10 to the AW4, the cross member is the same, but the tranny mount is different, the mount you need is the common one for the AW4 and AX15, the smaller one, about $18 at the parts stores. Not the one with the large mounting pan, which you left here one day :roll:

Also as MJeff pointed out, there is a front and rear to the cross member, spin the cross member end for end, and see how it lines up. If not........you know where there a few to dig thru to find one that will fit.

I had to remove studs in frame and use different holes when swapping in the auto. You don't use all of the holes that are in crossmember either. Definately a major difference in the tranny mounts.

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't..

Some XJs/MJs used an additional L bracket that mounted on the top of the X-member, and then bolted sideways into the frame. That would give you 4 bolts on each side. Not all of them had this, and if it didn't come with them, you can't just throw them in, as the brake and gas lines on the driver's side won't be bent out to make room.

Some XJs/MJs used an additional L bracket that mounted on the top of the X-member, and then bolted sideways into the frame. That would give you 4 bolts on each side. Not all of them had this, and if it didn't come with them, you can't just throw them in, as the brake and gas lines on the driver's side won't be bent out to make room.

That's exactly my problem. The L bracket holes won't line up when the crossmember is in the farther back location. Brake and fuel lines haven't been run under the cab yet because of this.

There are two sets of holes on the L bracket, I figured one set was for auto, the other for manual. The L bracket holes don't line up with the crossmember. Also, it's not possible to move the L bracket back if I remember correctly, I didn't see a second set of holes for differing locations of it.