Serpentine belt keeps jumping

The belt was new. Water pump is new. Belt keeps jumping back one groove on crank gear towards block and riding over the lip. Everything appears to be lined up, but obviously not. I did notice A/C compressor has a pulley with one groove wider than the others. Belt is centered on the flat pulleys. Any possibilities before I get too ambitious and remove everything. I need to change compressor before summer hits and will make sure that pulley matches the others.

Sounds like someone has changed the compressor before, or at least the clutch assembly, and installed the wrong one.

The only other common alignment problem area that I have seen is the power steering pulley. If it has been off and was pressed back on too far, it will cause the same problem. Check and be sure the center shaft is flush with the outer edge of the pulley. If the shaft is sticking out past the pulley center hub, then it needs to be pulled out. I had this problem when I bought my truck, but it just caused a terrible belt squeal.

Another possibility is that the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft is starting to fail.

Yes, that is actually a more common problem than what I mentioned, but I had forgotten about that. :thumbsup: