HELP!!!! Rusty "frame"

Any of you boys fixed up a rusted frame?

I discovered an alarming amount of rust on the MJ from the back of the cab to almost the top of the wheel well on Pass side and about 8" in front of front spring mount almost to that mount on the DS.

I am thinking of making up templates for both sides of both frame rails. Extend steel as far as I can past damage. (8-10" past) Then making patch panels from 1/8" steel sheet stock for the sides, tying the inside to outside with 4 pieces of 1 1/4" tubing thru the existing frame and both new panels. I will also drill many 1/2" holes for "spot" welds along its length. Then adding 4"x1/4" steel stock, I have along the bottom as far as I can. I have about a 8-9' piece. Any suggestions?

What did you do or what would you do....

I'll post up damage pics later... I have taken out of service untill this can be repaired.. I am sick over finding this.

CW

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been feeling great and we have some nice weather SO... I pulled out the MJ and climbed under....

Then with a bit of poking and some die grinder work....

Overall, pretty bad, but now as bad as I thought it world be. All day I was doodling "truggy" rear frames......

Any all suggestions welcome.....

CW

Prep it,paint/treat it with zinc primer/paint and patch it with 1/8"steel.

Then plate the entire frame with 1/8" steel.

3/16" or 1/4" is overkill, a pain to work with and adds a ton of weight.

1/8" will basically double the frames strength.

:cheers:

CW,

I've got some structural thoughts for you here...

Under static conditions, your MJ frame has two types of loads on it. The bottom is in tension and the top is in compression. By cutting out the bottom and virtually losing that section of the frame, all of the tensile forces (albeit small) are transferred to the lower sides of the frame rail. Before you weld in patches (your suggestions sound good) I would try and relieve loads placed onto the sides of the frame rail that used to be on the lower section of the frame.

If you don't correct it now, you might see some "sagging" in the years to come.

The way I would fix it would be to cut the patches so that they would cover the frame rail, then I would clean the frame section all up and jack the truck up. I would then set a jackstand under the frame rail, insert the patch and let the full weight of the truck back down on the jackstand, under the new patch (leave the tires on so that the truck has some stability points and its safe to crawl under). This is the best way I can see to reduce the amount of sagging that could be directly related to losing that lower section of steel in your frame...

Also, I would look at what is caused the problem. If its only on the passenger side, maybe heat from your exhaust contributed to it...? Hows the drivers side look?

Excellent thought and tips, THANK YOU!!!!

Yes the pass side is the worst. Cause... I think just New England winters and salt on the roads...... IMHO, it was exacerbated with time and debris in the frame rails. The debris holds moisture, accelerating the rust. It was obviously rusted from the inside out. Unsure how I could stop or even slow whats there now, out of reach inside the frame.

Lets keep this brain storming going... good stuff!!!

CW