97+ XJ Door Locks and Comanche Ignition

I am continually researching the 97+ door swap and am getting close to the point of installation. However I have a problem.

My 92 MJ has one key for the dDoors/glove box/ignition. I would like this to be the same scenario after I install the doors from a 98 XJ.

Is it possible to swap the cylinder locks from the MJ doors to the new XJ doors? Or another way to get one key to do all the work?

The key for the XJ doors was lost during the Jeep part out, so I do not have them. If I am required to go 'two key' can I have the dealer cut me a new key from the vehicles VIN number? I know Ford/Mazda will do this, what about Jeep? If no, how quickly can a locksmith generate a key for me?

Thanks in advance!

OK,, here's what I did/will do.. I got a 93~94 column (whichever years had the signaw (sp?) column with the double sided key) and the matching glove box lock.

The column I have is a 7 cut key,, the later years 97-up (not sure about 95-96 years xj) doors take a 8 cut key.. BUT.. a local locksmith (very good, non-hack place) told me to remove the doors locks and bring them the key for the column. They can re-key the door locks to match the column key.

The two keys are identical (7 cut=??years/ 8 cut=later years) only the 8 cut are longer. In other words both keys will fit either lock.

So for around 10 bucks apiece I'll have matching keys for everything. I hope,, at least thats the plan..

My MJ has a two sided key. It is just a tad shorter than my 03 Rubi Key (7 cut vs 8 cut I suppose?)

If I am understanding this right, a good locksmith should be able to re-key the 98 door cylinders to work with my 92, double sided 7 cut key. Or will I get an 8 cut key that works in my 7 cut ignition cylinder?

I was going to suggest a keyed alike set and be done, advance sells them.

Does this set include an ignition cylinder and door cylinder? I've never been to an Advance (none locally), but figure O'Reilys or Autozone would have a similar deal. Would this be for the 98 Cherokee, or the 92 Comanche? I assume the Comanche, because the 98 Ignition assembly is very different (at least in appearance). If that is the case, can I reuse the Comanche door cylinders?

Thanks for the help :doh:

My MJ has a two sided key. It is just a tad shorter than my 03 Rubi Key (7 cut vs 8 cut I suppose?)

If I am understanding this right, a good locksmith should be able to re-key the 98 door cylinders to work with my 92, double sided 7 cut key. Or will I get an 8 cut key that works in my 7 cut ignition cylinder?

Yes, I think the door locks only use a few of the notches of the key to begin with.. At least thats how I understood it when I was researching this.. This came from my local dealers parts guru, two lock smiths, and BLHTAZ, another parts guru.. can't remember who all said what, but thats the info I have.

When I did my 97+ door swap, I took the door cylinders out and had the locksmith in the Pick Your Part parking lot match them to my existing MJ key. $15 for two.

Thats what I like to hear :D

I will need to get those cylinders out of there. I remember reading a post on here with the 'how to'. Time to find it :brows:

i put the cylinders out of mine in the door,using the lock retainer for the 97. all i did was flip the clip around to the other side of the lock cylinder and squeezed it witha a pair of pliers to tighten it up a bit( metal clip with plastic retainer vs. all plastic and smaller rod on the 97 up)

i put the cylinders out of mine in the door,using the lock retainer for the 97. all i did was flip the clip around to the other side of the lock cylinder and squeezed it witha a pair of pliers to tighten it up a bit( metal clip with plastic retainer vs. all plastic and smaller rod on the 97 up)

So the lock cylinders from the MJ will work when used with the lock retainer from the 98 with a bit of work. Good, another alternative. Thanks jamminz.gif