HO engine swap

I am going to swap an HO into my '87 Comanche 4x4. I have found one in a very badly wrecked 2wd Cherokee. I can get the whole Cherokee fairly reasonable. Is there going to be any problem with the 2wd jtec in an '87 4x4 with an AW4? The Cherokee has an instrument cluster with a tachometer which is another plus. I want to use the Jtec instead of the Renix system because I am a little familiar with the Jtec.

well, IDK what J-tec means.

but to convert it to your 4wd trans you need to use the H.O. torque converter because the bolts won't line up with the H.O. flex plate (and you can't run renix flex plate on H.O.)

you'll also need to make sure you use an ecu for an aw4 if the donor cherokee has a 5 speed.

then you'd also need the aw4 wiring obviously.

basically, if it's an automatic cherokee, yes it will work but definitely heed my advice reguarding the H.O. torque converter.

I don't know about any of my drivetrain. I bought the truck without an engine. The ATF looks pretty dirty. If I could find a complete Cherokee that was running well but wrecked I would swith out from the engine to the transfer case.

To switch to the entire HO package, you'll need, well, the entire HO package. The complete wire harness (even under the dash). If you can get a donor vehicle, it's pretty straight forward. It's been done before. :thumbsup:

If you don't want to swap out the entire harness and dash, but you need an engine, top to bottom, I'd keep looking for a Renix-era truck that has exactly what you're missing.

To switch to the entire HO package, you'll need, well, the entire HO package. The complete wire harness (even under the dash). If you can get a donor vehicle, it's pretty straight forward. It's been done before. :thumbsup:

If you don't want to swap out the entire harness and dash, but you need an engine, top to bottom, I'd keep looking for a Renix-era truck that has exactly what you're missing.

agree 100%