How to remove 97+ XJ parts quickly?

sorry to be negative...I don't want you to get into a bad position with no way out.

I here ya and it is much appreciated. ;) Any 97+ conversion (less the front clip and doors) are a long way down the road. I need to MJ as my DD after I get my Masters in May... Then comes job, home, yada-yada.... I am only trying to get parts now as this guy is selling stuff a whole lot cheaper than I have seen anywhere in the Midwest :yes:

What research I have done led me to believe the MJ HO shares much of the same fuel system (rail, TB, tank sending unit, etc) as the 'modern' 4.0 with a distributor. Back when I owned a YJ with the 4.2, I wanted that darn fuel injection like nothing else and studied it a lot. In any case I am glad I will never need to hunt down a 91/92 tank sending.

Now you have got me thinking about the AW4 computer. If the pre 97 and post 97 units will not work with each other, do the AW4 computers store and modify shift points as the new 42RLE does? I have read that is is dangerous the flash the PCM of a newer TJ if the 42RLE has a lot of miles on it because the PCM will reset to default shift points causing rough shifting and slipping.

I will do what I can to get the wiring and everything it attaches to from this XJ. Do what I can to get all of the right parts collected over the years.

Now I want to investigate the 98 wiring diagram and 92 wiring diagram to see about custom wiring the newer dash gauges to my existing harness... After all, its all electronic!

sorry to be negative...I don't want you to get into a bad position with no way out.

I here ya and it is much appreciated. ;) Any 97+ conversion (less the front clip and doors) are a long way down the road. I need to MJ as my DD after I get my Masters in May... Then comes job, home, yada-yada.... I am only trying to get parts now as this guy is selling stuff a whole lot cheaper than I have seen anywhere in the Midwest :yes:

What research I have done led me to believe the MJ HO shares much of the same fuel system (rail, TB, tank sending unit, etc) as the 'modern' 4.0 with a distributor. Back when I owned a YJ with the 4.2, I wanted that darn fuel injection like nothing else and studied it a lot. In any case I am glad I will never need to hunt down a 91/92 tank sending.

Now you have got me thinking about the AW4 computer. If the pre 97 and post 97 units will not work with each other, do the AW4 computers store and modify shift points as the new 42RLE does? I have read that is is dangerous the flash the PCM of a newer TJ if the 42RLE has a lot of miles on it because the PCM will reset to default shift points causing rough shifting and slipping.

I will do what I can to get the wiring and everything it attaches to from this XJ. Do what I can to get all of the right parts collected over the years.

Now I want to investigate the 98 wiring diagram and 92 wiring diagram to see about custom wiring the newer dash gauges to my existing harness... After all, its all electronic!

no. the fuel rails are not the same though they "interchange". however that wouldn't allow it to run with the 97+ system.

the intake changed in mid 1999, so any 4.0 intake after that is for hp gain.

the 97+ aw4 simply has an additional controller of some sort, and the computer is simply different and not interchangeable.

the 98 gauges WILL NOT WORK unless run the entire 98 swap. they are computer-controlled through the 98's engine computer rather than the old style with the simple 1 wire, sensor, grounded to block. flat out won't work no other way about it UNLESS you're a technical genious and can design, build, and program a circuit board to take all sorts of different readings and put them into some semblence of functional order on the 98 gauge cluster.

hence me mentioning prior that you will need custom gauges such as autometer to complete a swap of this proportion.

I'm doing a 97+ interior conversion on my 86 comanche. it has a 1996 camaro buick 3800 v6 in it that runs off it's own seperate harness.

that allows me to delete all engine-related factory wiring. go from there, I only need one relay for the headlights, wire up the turn signals with fuses, a relay for the blower motor, Hvac system, power supply for the radio, and power supply for the autometer gauges I will be installing.

the 98 conversion without actually doing the entire conversion is so complex and simply ridiculously complicated that it is not something I'd hazard to tackle...and you're talking to someone who built an entire engine wiring harness to trick that camaro engine into thinking it's still in a camaro.

remember you either need a full complete upgrade to 97+ parts (ALL drivetrain engine etc.), or you need to get custom gauges and do some custom wiring.

yea i know thats why I'm using his cherokee before it goes of to the junker, only thing I'm missing though is going to be the tranny and transfercase, which i might have already found one, but from a 92, anyone know if that would work,

remember you either need a full complete upgrade to 97+ parts (ALL drivetrain engine etc.), or you need to get custom gauges and do some custom wiring.

yea i know thats why I'm using his cherokee before it goes of to the junker, only thing I'm missing though is going to be the tranny and transfercase, which i might have already found one, but from a 92, anyone know if that would work,

K, good. I'm primarily directing that repetitive statement of SWAP EVERYTHING to the OP so he doesn't end up getting SOL

trans from 92 will not work directly, but if you had a fried 97-02 aw4 I'd imagine you can swap that extra sensor it has into your 92 one.

K, good. I'm primarily directing that repetitive statement of SWAP EVERYTHING to the OP so he doesn't end up getting SOL

trans from 92 will not work directly, but if you had a fried 97-02 aw4 I'd imagine you can swap that extra sensor it has into your 92 one.

Maybe you should try saying it yet another way, so that this time he understands? :clapping: