argh the frustration

well just recently i went out to start my truck up, it's been cold out, so i usually go outside and start it up once a day and let it run for about five minutes or so. well i went out started it up one day, it ran for about five minutes and died on me. i know there is gas in the tank, about a quarter tank. i know that the fuel is bein pumped because i pulled the fuel line from the engine and turned the pump on and gas start flowing out. i checked the plug wires for sparks, all sparked. anyone have any idea what it could be or what to check?

this just adds the the big ol list of crap that is wrong with it at the moment.

Why do you do that? Cold starting is the worst thing you can do to any engine. don't start it unless your going to drive it, you might actually use more battery power cranking and starting the engine than the alternator can recharge at 5minutes of idling, not to mention the lack of lubrication and excessive engine wear before the oil reaches operating temperature.

But i can't tell you why it stopped :dunno: ...

i have been using 89 for gas. after i fixed the fuel pump it started stuttering, and my buddy said its water in the gas, so use a higher octane to burn the water up, and it stopped stuttering, so since then i have been using 89.

for the cold start and idle, i was never told it was bad, so my mistake, but i will keep that in mind from now on.

i had the pump out like two months or three months ago i can't remember exactly, but the hose was in pretty good condition, seemed almost to be brand new. i don't want to go through takin out the pump again, it was a pain. i haven't had any problems with it stuttering, other than when i accelerate fast, and i am thinkin that is caused by the hot wiring i did, rather than finding the electrical problem, and replacing the ballast resistor. i did however by a new resister and plugged it in, but the hot wire for the resistor starts to smoke so i don't have the wires plugged into the resistor.

fei: this truck has a lot of electrical problems

You say that you have fuel and you havea fire...so it should be running. The only thing that I can think of is that you don't have good fuel pressure.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

I know you said that you replaced the fuel pump a couple months ago, but where did you get it? Aftermarket or dealer? If it was aftermarket, I would not be surprised if it's bad again...I have seen it many times. A fuel pump is one of a few things that you should always get at the dealership like the CPS and the 4.0L thermostat ;) .

you must have read wrong or i had made a mistake putting that i replaced the fuel pump. i tried to replace it but couldn't find the right one, and i found out it wasn't the pump, the hot wire to the pump wasn't gettin any juice so i hot wired it and it was up and running again, but that was months ago.

how would you go about checkin fuel pressure? i am drawing a blank. what i seen when i flipped the fuel pump switch, there was quite a bit of gas being pumped out. i don't know if the amount being pumped is any indication of the pressure.