rusty frame help

:agree:

There is no "Frame repair Kit"

There are so many variables that any frame repair needs to be "custom" made.

Also, you need to conciser the extent of the rust.

The 'uni-body / frame" of the MJ is not that well thought out, the front section of the uni-body is 3-4 pieces of 14 gauge sheet metal, bent to shape, and spot welded together :nuts:

Mileage is not a factor.......It's age, these trucks are 20+ years old, and if over it's life time was parked over ground (dirt) the metal just sucks the moister out of the ground and along with the metal eating termites, and the poor things suffers total destruction :(

I've had to 'put down' a '87 with 67K on the clock, because the frame was totally rotted out, but the drive train lives on :D I have a '88 with 112 on the clock, that a 3 foot section of uni-frame is not even there anymore........and one I'm picking up this morning, a '90 with 84K on the clock, the spring perches are wedged up into the frame, to the under side of the box :eek:

I don't like to die sect these MJ's, but within the rust belt that I'm in, the only feasible way to save the MJ's is to make there hard to find, out of production, parts live on in other usable MJ's.

The right thing to do in your case, is to consider the extent of the rust in the "frame" and have a Good frame, welding shop, put it up on a lift, and see if it's repairable, and if so, have the shop do the repair.......unless you have experience in welding and the proper equipment.

Any frame can be repaired. My brother's early 90s Nissan pickup plow truck had the frame crack just behind the cab. It was sway-backed driving down the road, and if he put the plow down and pushed against anything you could see the "hinge" flexing.

He took it to a shop that specializes in frame repair, and they fixed it right up.

Once you get the frame repaired: Take an oil can and your last oil change worth of oil and dump it back in the truck through the holes in the frame. Make sure you park in the Wal-Mart lot to do it - lol - its gonna leak everywhere...

BEST way to combat rust is to oil the heck out of everything! Michiganders who like their vehicles know this... :rant:

Once you get the frame repaired: Take an oil can and your last oil change worth of oil and dump it back in the truck through the holes in the frame. Make sure you park in the Wal-Mart lot to do it - lol - its gonna leak everywhere...

BEST way to combat rust is to oil the heck out of everything! Michiganders who like their vehicles know this... :rant:

You know........I've heard about this 30+ years ago.......yea, it dose help, but just don't let the DEC know your doing it :D

I'm sure there are many other products on the shelf that can do a better job than the oil dripping all over........and on the resale end......how do you explain all the "oil leeks" :dunno:

What resale?

I've already found that the DEQ and I don't see eye to eye on a few things. Thats all I'll say about that... :rotfl2:

I still have a hard time believing that residents up here in the Rust Belt actually PAY for the road salt that deteriorates our vehicles. Something just isn't right with that in my opinion.

What resale?

I've already found that the DEQ and I don't see eye to eye on a few things. Thats all I'll say about that... :rotfl2:

I still have a hard time believing that residents up here in the Rust Belt actually PAY for the road salt that deteriorates our vehicles. Something just isn't right with that in my opinion.

Yea......your right........What Resale :doh:

You talking about this Big business????