Rocker arm ?

So I'm slowly putting my engine back together and while I was pulling the rocker arms off the head I bent a couple of bridges. I guess they were over torq'd by the same place that put the bearing caps on backwards. :shake:

So I'm going to replace them and figured I'd replace the rockers and pivot bearings as well. Do I need to replace the push rods and if so, do I need to replace the lifters? The head had a valve job done so I'm good on that side.

:cheers:

I would not say you "need" to replace them. If the rods are straight and the ends are still smooth and not beat up then they should be good. Same with the lifters...if they are in good shape and working properly...I see no need there either.

Personally...I probably would replace them just because it's easy to do now and for peace of mind...but, that's just the way I am ;) .

Personally...I probably would replace them just because it's easy to do now and for peace of mind...but, that's just the way I am ;) .

Yeah, I'm trying to be cheap again but I know it would be better now than later. Will the springs need any adjustments due to new rockers, pushrods, and lifters or am I good there?

Will the springs need any adjustments due to new rockers, pushrods, and lifters or am I good there?

There is no adjustment on the valves for the AMC engine. Tighten the lifter nuts down on the studs to the specified torque. They seat on a shoulder and the hydraulic lifters essentially determine the "lash." If you decide to replace the push rods, be sure to verify that the new ones are the correct length. (In fact, if you use the old ones it might be wise to verify that THEY are the correct length.)

Will the springs need any adjustments due to new rockers, pushrods, and lifters or am I good there?

There is no adjustment on the valves for the AMC engine. Tighten the lifter nuts down on the studs to the specified torque. They seat on a shoulder and the hydraulic lifters essentially determine the "lash." If you decide to replace the push rods, be sure to verify that the new ones are the correct length. (In fact, if you use the old ones it might be wise to verify that THEY are the correct length.)

:hmm: I didn't say that... :rotf:

Oops. Sorry -- I try to edit out the non-essential parts when I quote a previous post, and I guess I edited out the wrong stuff this time. Lemme see if I can get back in and fix it.

Okay -- I think I got it right this time.

A thousand pardons, Sahib

:shake:

I'm looking through my FSM and it doesn't have the push rod lenght.(or I just didn't find it) It tells me the rockers get torq'd to 19 ft lbs and to make sure everything gets put back the way it came out. Well, how important would that be on a rebuilt motor that had the block and head redone with a valve job? Rockers and pushrods are in the right order but I had an accident with the lifters so needless to say, they are not in the same order as they came out.

Use assembly lube on both ends of the push rods, on the interface between the rockers and the ball (roller), and obviously on the lobes of the cam. If you had the cam out of the block, also use assembly lube on the cam bearing journals.