2.5 Auto to 5spd swap

Hi I am looking to swap my auto out on my 86 2.5 4wd to a 5spd Ax5 from a '95 wrangler. I already have all the clutch parts including the external slave master and everything all new. I didnt know if anyone had done this sort of swap before and what i should watch out for? i got a diffrent shifter for it from a cherokee with a Ax5. I was just wondering what I should watch for when doing this and if the cross member will fit for the swap? Thanks

The cross member will be the same, but the tranny mount won't. And you may need to move the cross member to the other mounting location, which will mean moving the studs.

The other "gotcha" is that the '95 flywheel won't work in your vehicle. The '86 throttle body injection is a Renix system that uses the same CPS as the early 4.0L engines. From '91 on, the Chrysler system used a different system with a different type of CPS that requires different trigger teeth/bumps on the flywheel.

yeah i do plan on ussing the old injection system. i do have the multi port that came with the new motor but origionaly i was planiing on ussing the old injection system. Would I have to change this to get it to run right?

To run right? You have to change the flywheel to get it to run at all.

The two systems are not compatible. To use the early (Renix) injection/ignition system, you must use a flywheel from an '86 - '90 engine. And you must use the CPS for a Renix engine, not the CPS that was in the '95.

Could I use a fly wheel front a 86-90 4.0? or is that diffrent to.

Nope. First, it's the wrong size and probably wouldn't even fit the 2.5L bell housing. Second, it wouldn't be balanced for a 4-cylinder engine. Third, it's set up to fire three times in one revolution. The 4-cylinder engine only fires two times per revolution. Yiou have to use a flywheel from an '86 thru '90 Jeep 2.5L. (And remember, Jeep used the 2.5L in 1984 and 1985 in the Cherokee and Wrangler, but those engines were carbureted and do not have the trigger ring with the teeth or bumps needed to make the CPS function. The flywheel MUST be from an '86 thru '90.