Rebuilding the AX-15

so, now that I've determined what tranny I've got, and it is the AX-15 I need to get around to fixing the syncros before the gears are totally hosed.

I've got weak syncros going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. I've been matching RPMs, but sometimes it gets ugly.

I've also got that nagging bearing noise and I think that's the input shaft bearing.

I've gotten the Jeep component manual for the AX-15.

I was considering a rebuild kit. They're cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-85- ... dZViewItem

How much of a task is this? I'm mechanically inclined, and pulling the tranny and putting it back in I'm pretty sure I could handle in a few hours.

I've never been inside of a tranny though, and I don't have any special tools for it.

Has anyone done this? Tell me theres a transmission guy in here.

If I bought the parts how much do you think a tranny shop would rape me for?

Transmission shop will rape you a lot...

I'd just take a stab at rebuilding it, and if I screwed it and blew it up I'd probably just find another and try rebuilding that one too.

I wouldn't try doing it in a weekend though. And big lock ring pliers will be your friend.

well, I could borrow a car to get me to work and back, Perhaps take about a week and do it. The service manual says all the tools needed, so I'd have to get those. I figure that if I can take a clock apart and put it back together then I should be able to do a tranny, it's just a big geartrain

well, I talked with my mechanic friend, he said it sounds like the main shaft bearing. SO that sucks. hopefully it will last another 2 weeks or so until I get it fixed.

Good new is I found a place with a lift to work on it. So no crawling on the concrete with a tranny :)