Name my tranny (56k beware, big pics)

So, I'm fairly sure it's the puegot( thanks to you guys), but from the decriptions you've given me it just doesn't look like that to me.

So either I'm a bit stupid here, ad that's possible, or a PO did a drivetrain swap. The motor doesn't look or run like it's got 242K miles on it, and the block and such are all painted. So it's possible, I have NO idea about the history of this truck other than what carfax gave me.

So here's the pics and name my tranny!

[/img]

Well, it's an AX-15

So I'm stoked. Looks like a PO did a whole driverain swap. I may even have an HO in there.

I'm going to pull the valve over off tomorrow and find out.

Today I did all the fluids, t-case, tranny and difs.

I also did a full tuneup, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, rotor and cap.

So now it's running real good.

Mobil 1 synthetic solved most of the shifting nastiness. I need to fix the shifter, and I think I'll be squared away.

I'm not certain about the Mobil 1, but AX-15s require a GL-3 rated oil. Or more precisely, they require that we NOT use a GL-5 rated oil. Unless the bottle specifically says something to the contrary, GL-5 rated oils contain sulphor compounds that will eat away at the synchros. GL-3 stuff is hard to find though. Dodge and Jeep dealerships sell it in bottle labeled "for AX-15s". Some synthetic oils are said to be OK too, but they should say something about being safe for yellow metals. This is all compounded by the fact that Jeep put Gl-5 in the older shop manuals. :(

Jeep on!

--Pete

yes, I had read that GL-5 was ok for the tranny.

But you and another person have already told me that the mobil 1 was no good in the AX-15, it is indeed a gl-5 oil.

I drained it into a clean bucket and put it into the differentials. I replaced the oil in the tranny with regular 80-90w gear oil. I will order the Redline mt-90. No place around here carries it. So this is the 3rd time I've drained and filled that tranny, it ought to be clean now.