Auto Trans to Manual

I was wondering how hard would it be to convert the MJ from the 2.5L with the Torqueflight 904 to a 4.0L with the AX15? will everything bolt up or or will just cost too much to make it worth while?

thanks

It's a lot of work for an 86. Everything needs to be swapped, including all the wire harness and the front radiator supports (to fit the 4.0 radiator, the hood needs to be swapped for the later models with the corner latches, which means everything surrounding the new latches will need to be changed). A complete donor vehicle is highly recommended.

An easier swap would be to change your auto to an AX-5 manual.

oh and also what all will I need to get the manual trans? obviously the manual trans itself and the pedals, clutch, flywheel, etc. is there a list somewhere of what Ill need?

one more question, how good is the torqueflight 904?

Far as I can tell, the torquefite has a good rep. A bit of an old design though, and it doesn't have overdrive. The big problem is that the 2.5L doesn't do well when mated to any auto. There's just not a lot of power and the auto sucks more of it away.

There are kits out there for mating an AX-15 to the 2.5L if you're concerned about strength.

What size tires are you running? Do you know the gear ratio?

so the 2.5L with a manual is pretty good?

If you mean pretty good as far as reliable, then yes it is pretty good, probably a little better than pretty good.

If you mean pretty good as far as powerful, then no.

I have a 2wd with 2.5 and ax4 manual with 3.55 gears. Even with the absence of the weight of the dana30 up front and a transfer case, I wouldn't say the power is pretty good. I would say adequate. .410 gears would help.

With a pre 87 you are a little stuck with the drivetrain swap.

You can mate an ax15 to a 2.5 with some Dakota parts here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361, this seems pretty involved so I would make really sure this is what you want to do. There are some online parts lists that can be found with some searching.

Also, you could look into a non jeep drivetrain. Like a chevy 4.3, some guys on the forums have managed to pull this off very successfully, but I don't know the details.

I don't know the gear ratio or the tire size, the tires are probably about 29", the whole thing is stock, but I will be lifting it to fit ~33", so the 2.5L with a manual is pretty good?

What axles and gear ratio are you planning to use?

It's a lot of work for an 86. Everything needs to be swapped, including all the wire harness and the front radiator supports (to fit the 4.0 radiator, the hood needs to be swapped for the later models with the corner latches, which means everything surrounding the new latches will need to be changed). A complete donor vehicle is highly recommended.

An easier swap would be to change your auto to an AX-5 manual.

what else is needed? This is just pretty much going to be my weekend warrior and fun toy, so I have plenty of time to wrench on it and I have access to plenty of XJs.

So I need:

4.0L motor

wire harness

radiator supports

MJ hood--does the XJ hood also fit it?

AX-15 trans

thats not too bad sounding lol

You'll need an entire 4.0 XJ. A complete donor rig comes highly recommended by those who have elected to take on a similar swap. Your t-case won't bolt to an AX-15, so add that to the list.

Find out what ratio you have in the axles and let us know. :thumbsup: Did you swap the Dana 44 in?

no, I havent bought it yet and it is completely stock, I don't know if I will be buying it now, the guy is only asking $200 for it and its all there but he is taking the engine, and I am having a hard time finding a 2.5, so I think I might pass and just put that money into my KJ.